1999 camry v6 passenger side oil leak

Asked by Mar 12, 2017 at 06:21 PM about the 1999 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Hi - I have a 1999 v6 xle with 198k miles on it. Runs fantastic, and, just
sprouted an oil leak on the passenger side of the engine in the vicinity of the
belts. Oil is everywhere, visible on the strut tower area up top, to down
below where it's gathering into droplets to fall on the driveway. I'm going to
take it for a pressure wash today to see if I can locate any source, and have
heard a lot of suggestions for the 2.2 4cyl, but less so for the v6. I heard the
oil pressure sender is possible; not sure if the suggestion of the oil pump
drive seal is relevant to the 6cyl or just the 4cyl. Any good 'first place to
look' suggestions for this 3.0 motor specifically?

2,190

Got to be there to see for myself.....so....after the wash down....consider taking some photos of the area and post them.

Hi last_chance_garage, thanks for your reply. Are you familiar with the 6cyl 1MZ-FE engine? I've seen a zillion videos and posts on the 2.2cyl engine, but almost nothing on the 1MZ-FE. This is a high-mile engine (198k) so I'm certain something is old and brittle and has given up the ghost. I looked at it tonight (flashlight time) and if the main pully and timing cover area were a clock, it appears that from 8 to 3 on the clock are again wet. Everything else down there seems dry. On the 2.2cyl, I see that the oil pump drive seal, and the outer sprocket seal, tend to fail, and that the Toyota parts are pretty cheap -- at least on the 2.2. Is this a common failure point in the 1MZ-FE as well? Thanks for reading and even taking the time to answer. Much appreciated friend.

2,190

Are we assuming this is engine oil that is leaking? What about the Power Steering Pump? I would be tempted to remove the drive belts....wipe up the oil residue....and have some one start her up so I could actually SEE where the oil is leaking. Of course don't run it for more than a few minutes.....just enough to see oil coming out/dripping. Something else to consider. The Positive Crankcase Ventilating System(PVC). When that system is restricted or plugged...engine seals and gaskets begin to leak.

Upon looking at a diagram of the "front" of the motor (main pully) it looks like the oil is coming out of the sides and bottom of the oil pump, the timing belt cover which is higher. My guess is that is as common an item of repair in this motor as it is the 2.2cyl.

2,190

Suggest you perform a thorough check of the PCV system. There was a problem with some of these engines ...SLUDGING UP. GOOGLE TOYOTA ....engine sludge.

Great, thanks. Yes, it's definitely engine oil, not the reddish power steering fluid or tranny fluid. Aware the 6cyl has that sludge issue, just didn't realize that a plugged PCV could cause that pressure backup and thus leakage. Interesting theory I'll definitely check. Have been using detergent to fight the sludge, but have >not< checked pcv as of yet. Will do so - thanks. Will report back!

Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses. The oil is coming from above and behind the main pully. I had thought it could possibly be what was suggested previously -- a clogged PCV causing pressure and ooze, but the PCV hose was both supple and unclogged. I further inspected the oil pressure sender and it too was fine, except for oil that had splashed/blown/otherwise secondarily arrived there. I'm pretty much settled on it being from the oil pump cover/gasket, and maybe that drive seal. From the records it doesn't appear it has been replaced before and its a high mileage engine, so if it's oem it's probably quite brittle. A few too many 'maybe's in there, but that is where things seem to be pointing. As soon as I know for sure I will update the thread.

2,190

Many thanks for the update. Interesting issue.

I think that I have the exact same problem, but in a 1999 3.0 V6 Avalon. I'll add a picture when I have a chance.

Its oil pump seal & crankshaft. Change both, since you will open all the timing housing, change water pump &timing belt too.

2,190

Evan..did you ever fix the oil leak on this vehicle?