1998 Toyota Camry Washer pump

30

Asked by Aug 27, 2015 at 06:26 PM about the 1998 Toyota Camry CE

I have a 1998 Camry. The washer pump does not work. If i connect the pump to the battery it works , so I know its not the pump. I have current at the pump.
I replaced the switch and its not that. Does anybody know what it could be?
Fuse is good...

Looks like you have done everything right, Have direct power to pump it works, fuse is good, either you don't have a good connection when you replaced switch, or sometimes a fuse that looks good is not.

Is the switch a multi-function switch on the wiper stalk?

30

yes...its does both the wipers and the washer fluid... the wipers work,,, the washer doesnt?

30

if I ground the wire directly to the battery at the pump.. it works.. Also is it normal that I have constant power at the pump without having to push on the switch?

Ok, this is getting to be a mystery. What happens if you ground it to the frame/chassis not all the way to Neg battery post?

20,830

I agree with FordNut if you have power at the pump and the pump works with direct power the connector going to the pump has to be bad maybe a or bent prong inside connector or pump connector not making connection when you plug it in.

I am looking to find out if it is turned on by ground and if power to pump is always hot or not...

30

If i ground it to the frame,,, The pump works...I just cant get it to work .. from the switch to the pump...Im going crazy...

Thanks firebird338...I can use all the help I can get here

30

Thanks Fordnut... Thats what Im wondering... It looks like it's powered by a ground cause when i ground it directly to chassis or negative of battery.. its works.. And Im not sure if it is normal that the power to the pump is always hot? I have ran out of options for this repair... I never seen anything like this...

20,830

Try to wiggle and giggle the connection going to the pump and have someone operate pump switch and see what happens.

30

The only thing I can think of is that the negative wire from the switch to the pump is cut... either by corrosion or a short...

Me neither. I know I use my washer pump almost everyday, in my Corolla... It rains just enough to get dirty and I use it...... if I had to get out the Windex everyday and a paper towel I would , let's just say not be happy. Going to some forums to see if I can find anything

30

Thanks Fordnut...

30

Is there a relay of some sort maybe?

Found this... click to size up

Other than that my friend I'm stumped. Sorry 'bout that

30

Thank you for all the help Fordnut and firebird338...

I believe the washer Switch completes the ground for this circuit. Go back to your switch installation. Probe the white wire with a black stripe. That should be connected to ground. With a DVOM check RESISTANCE from this wire to Battery ground terminal with the Ign. key OFF. DO NOT turn the washer switch on. You should see very LOW resistance. Less than 5 ohms. Next step....change the function of your Meter to DC Volts. Leave your meter connections where they are. Operate washer switch with ign. switch on. If you see around 12 volts...with the washer sw. on...you have a bad ground. That 12v indicates that B/W wire is not grounded. If you do not see a change in voltage when operating the washer switch....you either have a bad washer switch or .......no power to the switch.

30

Thank you so much Lastchancegarage....