Why is my car dying?

Asked by Apr 07, 2015 at 04:29 PM about the 1996 Toyota Camry LE

We have a 1996 Toyota Camry we bought it not running was told she went to back out of garage and it died so they replaced fuel pump and put gas in it nothing....we have replaced battery, battery cable ends, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, idle control valve, distrubtor and cap, ignition coil, igniter/ignition module. When it runs it runs great but some days it will go about 10 miles and just die and we can't hardly keep it running we don't what else to try any suggestions would be great.  Thanks!

6,125

ok first off do you have any check engine lights?

yes and the only code is the igniter and we replaced it twice. It does a fuel smell after it dies as well

39,115

Since you can smell gas, you may have leaky injectors, or you may be running too rich for the fuel mixture. I would first buy a can of throttle body cleaner and remove the throttle body. Thoroughly dismantle and clean it. Remove your IAC and clean that as well. I would also replace your ECT or Engine Coolant Temp sensor. If after doing this the car still stalls out, I would then replace the injectors. Here is a video on cleaning throttle body and IAC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsP2-HKz7vE Here's a video on how to replace your injectors. Very easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEIP9ZYnnRc

6,125

don't just throw parts at it,,, borrow a scan tool from autozone and monitor fuel trims and other data,, see if its pulling fuel trims would be a great start,, it could have a bad fuel pressure regulator or the pump is going crazy and sending too much fuel,,, the scan tool will tell you if your coolant temp sensor is bad or not