Easiest way for me to bleed my brakes

35

Asked by May 10, 2016 at 11:10 PM about the 1994 Toyota Camry LE

Easiest way to bleed my Brakes myself

35,525

Take it to a shop as bleeding brakes improperly can cause the brakes to fail and you could have an accident.

35

Come on Bob, you have to give real answers, or every question can be answered to take it to the shop.

35,525

If people would use "Google" there would be no need for most questions. Brakes, if you don't know what you are doing then get someone who does. I will not be responsible for giving advice to a novice and having them get into an accident. No offense intended.

35

Not quite a novice. Just lazy, didn't feel like making the catch can and getting hose. No offense taken. Just seeing if you had a better idea. Thanks for your time. I do use You Tube alot. Very helpful.

35,525

Well since you appear to have some skill.... I usually use a hose and a bucket or old empty gallon oil jug and a helper. Also I like to put something under the brake pedal like a 3/4 to 1 inch thick piece of wood. This prevents the brake pedal from going all the way to the floor and "overstroking" the master cylinder. Sometimes if you stroke the brake pedal to depths it has not gone before the master cylinder can be damaged. Although I think there is a small risk damaging the master cylinder, the risk is still there. Then I do the usual, ask the helper to pump the brakes and hold the pedal while I loosen the bleeder screw and let some fluid out. I instruct the helper to hold the pedal until I tell them to release. Just repeat the process starting at the right rear, then the left rear, then the right front and finishing with the left front. Keep a close eye on the fluid level at the master cylinder and do not let it run out. I do have a brand new pressure bleeder that one of these days I will try out, but haven't used it yet.

35

I didn't know you could overstroke the Master Cylinder. I work alone alot so I just cut a 4×4 to the length of the Brake Peddle to the floor and a piece I cut out to go up against the seat.I could probably cut 1" off and put one under the peddle, still will be the right length.Having a pressure bleeder would be great, good for you. Thanks

You might consider buying an inexpensive brake VACUUM BLEEDER KIT. It's a one man operation which includes a hand operated vacuum pump....a small plastic jar...and some hose. Follow instructions and it should do the job. However, I assume you have ABS on this vehicle. That may require a Scan Tool bleed. Get back to us with the results.

Best Answer
35

Thanks Lastchancegarage. I saw a nice Bleeder Kit and I was drooling. I can't even buy any time, I'm so poor. Yup, looks like a jam jar, hose and some extra Brake Fluid. Damn Doctors might need a Bleeder Kit for me. Going in for my own rebuilt engine probably. Pick this back up when I can.

BTW...Curious....what happened? Why is it necessary to bleed the brake system on this vehicle?

35

Lastchancegarage -------- My First Post explains it. --------- Squeshy brakes MTrabucco 25 Asked by MTrabucco May 09, 2016 at 09:11 PM about the 1994 Toyota Camry LE Question type: Maintenance & Repair 1st- bad Radiator change. My hoses were all squeshy, I figured he'd tell me he's gotta change em. Pick it up, on the way home the brakes were bad. Got home, opened hood, no brake fluid, never had a leak before or after. Overflow tank, still brown shit. Cleaned that out myself. Still had to fill my Antifreeze every other day. Funny thing. I bought a new Radiator Cap. Perfect. No idea why he had to go near the brake fluid other than finding out his best friend hates me. I filled the Brake fluid. Soon enough, I got squeshy brakes. There was moisture under the front calipers and stuff. I figured I just needed to bleed the brakes. The car would turn over for just enough time, so I could put it in neutral for the flatbed. Different shop, I told them, you first have to jump the battery, have 1 person turn on ignition, the other needs to push down automatic release, to get into neutral. This is how we got it on the flatbed. Shop calls me. Special test to see what's wrong, gonna need to use it for maybe 3 or 4 hours, and still might not know what's wrong. $100.00 an hour and he said they've already tried to figure out, so I already owe them $100. I told em I'm gonna pick it back up. Got there, they're telling me 5 of Em couldn't get it in neutral just to move the car. They also said that I could get $300 or $500.00 to junk it.flatbed comes, I turn ignition, he puts it in neutral and we push it to where the flatbed has best access. They said the emergency brake has been on for years and now it's stuck and the wheels won't move now. Wheels moved fine getting it on towtruck. Got home, looked under hood, no antifreeze, they never even tried to use Liquid Wench in my corroded Self Diagnostic under the hood. Funny part. Fuses gone now- 20A(radio, interior lights, etc.) Fuel pump fuse, Eng Main Fr Def #1. I want to see a picture of underneath the brake. Found some parts and put them on. There is a red covered wiring coming out of floor towards brake. Just frayed and free going towards brake. What would you do? Just get more fuses and find someone else to bleed my Brakes. I released my Emergency Brake to move it on and off towtruck. Appreciate any advice, thanks guys, Michele Abramo (you think they just saw a girl coming?) 8 A

Interesting history on this vehicle. There is another option for bleeding brakes. It's an "old school" method called..."Gravity Bleeding" You fill the master cylinder and open one bleeder screw at a time for about 2-5 min. while keeping the master cylinder full of clean brake fluid. You do this for each wheel...without pushing on the brake pedal.. It does not work with ALL ABS systems, You might want to try this method...be sure NOT to let the master go dry of fluid. Good Luck

35

Thank-you Lastchancegarage, that sounds like alot less trouble. I would've had to keep checking the Brake fluid the other way anyway. She's a 94', so there is alot of history. Either pay up the Ying-Yang, or figure out how to fix your own car.Most things I can do myself, but I do have my mechanic, he moved to a different shop, Triple AAA goes only 3 miles for free. Free is about what I can afford, so I was forced to go to a closer mechanic. 2 things you never want to change, your Mechanic and your Hair Stylist.lol.

Message received. Keep us up to date.

920

MT...curious.....did you ever resolve the issue with this vehicle?

35

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Just Health Shit and some family issues. Answer to your question Tony is if you saw my first post on this subject, that's where I'm at. Love to buy a new car( meaning any year 2000 and up) that's my interpretation

35

Sorry Tony, early send, right shoulder broken and I'm a right. I was saying a 2000 for be a new car for me,since I have a 1994 Toyota Camry, with bricks under the wheels. I'm F--ked Bad credit/ after paying Rent and Cell and car insurance from my SSDI check, I have about $25.00 left a week. 1 of those weeks solely goes to medicine. So usually I end up with $13.00 until Aug 3rd. I love people who look down on Social Security, Thinking we're living the high life.lol. Si if there is anyone out there with a free car that's just sitting in your garage. I accept! Your wife has been screaming for you to clean the garage anyway. I'm Just Trying to help out.