How do I keep crankshaft pulley stationary while attempting to loosen bolt?

20

Asked by Nov 25, 2011 at 03:32 PM about the 1993 Toyota Camry LE V6 Wagon

93 Camry V6.  I cannot locate the flywheel cover-that the book is talking about.

the pully has a u shaped pin in crank,and pully slides over it,it will stay in place while removeing bolt.

20

I am a bit confused. I have not removed the bolt yet, because I cannot locate the cover for the Flywheel. I have to figure out a way to keep the crankshaft still, so that I can loosen the pulley bolt. If you have any pointers that would be awesome

cover for the flywheel is located under the motor-tranny where they hook together,is a small in size kind of long black plastic cover that should be in the middle or close to front of tranny,is easy to see and remove.2-10mmbolts pull out,can see flywheel bolts.no need in worring about the motor turning over .

20

I found and removed the cover. It had six bolts instead of two. I had to loosen the exhaust system to have room to access the bolts holding this cover. I tried using a screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel and also a wrench on one of the servic bolts to keep it from moving, without any luck. I have read about constructing a tool that bolts on the front of the pulley keeping it still while breaking the pulley bolt. Have you tried this before. Would a torch on the bolt help loosen it?

if you can get a air wrench in that would be the way to go.also if you have a pry bar you can put one end behind the flywheel pull eases on it toward you to keep it from turning.if you dont mind me asking what you are trying to do,maybe i could be more help to you.

20

I am replacing the head gaskets. In process, I figure I will replace the timing belt, but need to get that crankshaft pulley off, to gain access to the lower timing belt cover, so that I can remover the rest of the timing belt. I do not own an aircompressor nor an air wrench. I may ask around-maybe someone has one I can borrow.

OK now that I know what you doing,forget the tranny,put cover back on forget about it.the pully you trying to remove is the haromic balancer,this will take 2 people unless you strong as hell.use a pry bar put behind HB pull toward you to put pressure on it,not to much dont want to crack anything,another way to break the bolt loose,if on cement or asfalt.if not a block of wood,2by4 will work or floor jack,put ratchet and socket on bolt let ratchet rest on one listed,floor jack would work best,I think the ratchet should be in the tighten position,bump engine over,dont try to crank,just bunp the starter,that will break the bolt loose,just make sure the socket is tight on bolt.you will need a 3 prong puller to remove the HB,use the HB bolt head for the puller,back bolt off pull some,repete until off.reason to use bolt head is it screws into crank and you dont want to mess up the threads,dont forget about the half moon key on crank shaft after HB is off you will see it inside a grove on crank,just pull it out,it has to be replaced when putting back together.good luck,hope this helps.

2,795

Under the car on the cover plate

2,795

Cover plate the only way I got mine was to remove starter Lock it up there Be careful not to break anything Use air gun also or prey bar