check engine light came on, car stalls & dies?

Asked by Apr 06, 2013 at 11:25 AM about the 1991 Toyota Camry LE

repair shop can't find whats wrong ,

A bit vague there yelowlf. If the shop can't find the problem try another shop. It should not be difficult to find out why a CEL is on if you have the proper tools, OBD scanner. Or you can get the codes read at AutoZone or any large parts house.It has OBDI

Or you can do it yourself, don't even need a scanner. Locate the diagnostic connectors. Usually they are located in the fender in the engine compartment. If they are not there, look by the kick panel on the passenger side under the dash. Check the engine diagram in your owners manual, if necessary. Remove the rubber cover from one of the two diagnostic connectors. Attach a jumper wire between the TE1 terminal and the E1 terminal. Turn the key in the ignition and the Check Engine light will start flashing. These flashes indicate the code by flashing in patterns. For example, for code 31 the light will flash three times, pause, and then flash one time. If the Check Engine light continuously flashes two times every second, there are no codes.

Thank you for your help, the check engine light would never come on in the repair shop nor have any problems while running for them. I just replaced the ECT. It fail apart when I put the socket on it! Hope thats it..

I forgot to mention the most common and easiest fix is gas cap/ If it is gone, loose or bad, it will trigger the CEL, I hope it's that or your ECT too. Best of luck. but you do know ECT is Electronically Controlled Transmission? Or did you get one of the thousand acronyms mixed up?