Camry not driven in 10 years...

Asked by Jan 12, 2010 at 09:09 PM about the 1990 Toyota Camry LE V6 Wagon

Hi everyone,
I just bought a 1990 Camry V6 with 55k miles that has not been driven in 10 years. I would love to get some suggestions on what I should do as far as maintenance right now. Change all fluids? Replace belts? etc. It runs great right now, but I want to take care of anything that should be taken care of on a car that has been driven less than 100 miles in 10 years. Thanks everyone.

20

I have had a 95 for the past 5 or 6 years and know the engine like the back of my hand. I bought it then come to find out, I believe the previous owner had put a temp clog in the radiator ultimately which caused (approximately a year later - in the middle of a Texas summer (HOT)-) the engine to blow. So needless to say, I ended up replacing it. There are a couple of things that are ESSENTIAL and need to be maintenanced before (I stress before) they go bad. #1 = Especially with it sitting that long, you probably need to change the timing belt. If the belt breaks while driving, you will throw the whole engine away and have to replace it. Replacing the timing belt is not to difficult if you've worked on car a little bit (would not recommend an amateur attempting to do so). If you do it yourself, make sure to follow the haynes repair manual to a tee, and take the extra time to make your marks, etc. so you can just put the belt back on and dont have to adjust the timing. #2 = One of the problems with the older camry's is they all leak oil around the oil pump. So since you have the timing belt off (which is required to get to the oil pump) I would highly recommend changing your inner and outer oil pump seals (there is also one in the middle of the oil pump which you will see when u take it off. I would also replace your two belts which are probably dry rotted from sitting and rather cheap to replace (they also have to come off before you even get to the timing belt) Also while your down there, I would check the water pump. Mine went out at 175,000 miles and to replace it you once again have to take most of that stuff off to get to it. (I have taken off and put back on the timing belt probably 10-12 #3 = I would also do your routine stuff; oil change, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, check all hoses and air filter, gas filter, pcv valve, and thermostat. This should put the vehicle is excellent mechanical condition and make it very reliable. If you have any problems doing the repairs or have a couple questions you need the answer to, I have probably already spent hours attempting to figure it out or researching the problem online so just email me at dabouch03@gmail.com and ask away. Other than a couple of small know issues with the camry's, you probably just bought yourself a really great car.

255

You should definately prime the oil pump before you start it too unless they randomly started it every few months.

Hello, Would you be interested in selling the car? How on earth did you get so lucky to get a car in that condition curious? Dave