why does the check engine light, anti-roll light stay lite? truck is 2004 v8 limited 4 runner

215

Asked by May 04, 2013 at 12:25 PM about the 2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON TRUCK RUNS FINE?

Please educate me. What is 'anti~roll?

Get your OBD codes read. I hate to make that a generic answer when I don't know what the problem is but getting them read will tell us a lot

107,815

Get the codes read at the parts store. Write down the trouble code number and post it here. Someone will advise the most cost effective solution.

I think we were typing at the same time..but ts do you know what he meant by 'anti roll?

215

DavidH25 sorry about that. It's VSC Trac light. It is my understanding that anytime the check engine lite come on the ABS & VSC lights also come on.

Not exactly. the Stability Control and ABS will come on together when a fault is detected in either, but the CEL can light without the ABS/VSC from an alltogether different fault

215

Ok, so with that said they why would my CEL & ABS/VSC all come on & stay on with no problems with my truck? This happened about 6 months ago & I took truck in & was told I needed to have "sensor" replaced. I did truck ran the same with one exception no LIGHTS telling me to check the engine! Now I have the same issue again. It just seems like a lot of $$ for something that doesn't seen to be broken...

1,785

ok well time to start the process again, please let us know what your codes are

215

02 sensor

The CEL can light up from a multitude of reasons, not necessarily meaning that your car is running poorly. It will light up if the gas cap is off for example

3,465

ok, if vsc anti-lock and check engine light are all on, your most likely problem is a fault in the ANTI-LOCK ABS brake system. You ask why the other lights on then? I'll tell you!! the computer uses the abs system for various reasons, vsc vehicle stability control uses brakes, yep, it automatically applys the brakes as needed per each wheel to keep a vehicle under control, however in order to do that, the computer needs to know exactly how fast each wheel is spinning to do that, and if you have an abs fault such as a bad wheel speed sensor, neither of those systems can work properly therefore illuminating the warning lights including the vsc anti-lock and check engine

1,785

well your car may or may not run badly if you have a bad O2 sensor, but it will have a better chance of melting the catalyst in your catalytic converter there by causeing a plug in your exhaust, so is it the up or down stream sensor?

20

Bad gas can also cause the o2 sensor to malfunction. run a good fuel system cleaner. has helped me in the past.

3,785

Mark it lookalike that had tire problem and the a wheel sensor was damage on process when the engine light does not come on anti roll Has the tire sensor what tire did they replace Let me know

I call this the Toyota Blackmail device. As far as I can tell it's tied together to make you replace something emission related by defeating the ABS. You don't want to drive without ABS but in a vehicle over 100k miles I'd drive forever with an emissions issue......if the two were not tied together

10

My sway bar in the back is broken. Could that cause vsc track light and engine light come on.