2005 Prius will not start after replacing 12v battery.

Asked by Nov 06, 2013 at 09:12 AM about the 2005 Toyota Prius Base

My 2005 Prius would not start Monday morning so I was able to jump start it that to get to work.  I knew at that point I was going to need to replace the 12v battery ASAP.  That evening after getting off, the car would not start again so I had a co-worker help me jump the car.  The battery was completley dead after sitting in 30 degree weather for 10 1/2 hours, so I was not concerned when it didn't start immediately after hooking up the jumper cables.  After waiting about 30 min with no results, I readjusted the + cable on my car. When I reconnected the + cable, there was a huge spark and the fog lights flashed on and off. I then double check to make sure I didn't cross cables and all is well.  I tried to start the car again and this time nothing was turning on.  I left the car over night and came back to replace the battery the next day.
I purchased the new battery from a toyota dealership and they assured me that the battery had a charge. So I swaped the battery and tried again.
I put my foot on the break and push the power button. The power button LED then turns green, and that is it. No noise or anything else. I then (while keeping my foot on the break still), push the power button again. This time the power button LED turns orange, the parking break P LED turns on green and the check engine light on the dash turns on.  No other lights are on at this point. The main display doesn't come on, nor does the interior lights work, or anything else for that matter. The only thing functioning from inside are those 3 lights. I turn the car off and we just figure it needs more time to charge. So we give it a few more minutes of charging and still the same thing.
At this point I figure maybe a fuse was blown.  After looking closely at the fuses, I notice that there is a break in one.  If you're looking down at the fuse box, the break is at the top of the large rectangular fuse to the left. This fuse is connected directly to the positive connection for the 12v system.  I figure that the break is from the mysterious spark from the night before.  I have searched and xearch and can not find what theis fuse is called or how to replace it.  Any Prius experts have any knowledge or advice on this matter?  I would really appreciate some feedback asap.

Thanks!!

75

Try swapping a fuse from another less important function then drive to dealer

40

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having the exact same problem. I swapped the battery then nothing but 3 lights. Thank you

20

I am having the same exact issue with my 05 prius. I feel so lost. When I try and contact the dealer they treat like Im stupid as if they have never heard of anyone else having this issue. Someone please help.

75

The Prius is notorious for having a poor battery ground.Symptoms as losing time on the clock, low battery recharge, not starting etc. are typical. Especially in cold weather. Lift up the hatch and check the auxiliary battery in the rear of the car. Tighten connections and most important, follow the ground to the body connect screw/bolt.

40

My problem was the fuse under the hood. It's a Toyota dealer part. It's the big long fuse under the hood fuse box.

10

I am having this exact same problem with my 2007 model Prius in Norway. I have ALWAYS had problems with the 12 V battery. I just keep using jumper cables and charger packs. I am interested to hear more about this "big long fuse under the hood fuse box". I checked all the fuses tonight and there was one 10 AMP fuse that had blow. I switched it (as suggested by a reader above) but it didn't solve the problem. Please tell me what fuse you are talking about!!! perhaps take a picture of where to find it? Thanks