2006 impala no power anywhere no lights nothing but engine light on dash battery is good.. any ideas?

110

Asked by Apr 27, 2014 at 09:57 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS

initially thought is was battery.  put new battery in and stated fine.  then one day soon thereafter no nothing except engine light on dash. turn key and nothing at all.  no lights will work nothing.

17,065

Are tou saying that the battery is going dead over a few days? maybe your alternator isn't charging your battery..

110

nope...i checked the battery (it's new) and it is reading 12.1V. I turn the ignition key and I get nothing...no clicking sound, nothing. neither lights nor accessories work...engine icon on dash lights up...nothing else.

110

I also tried to jump it with jumper cables and still nothing...turn the key and nothing happens...nothing lights up...nothing except for the engine light icon on the dash.

17,065

you have nothing turning over and one red light on the dash , which is showing an electrical problem in the engine system but what does that have to do with the radio or headlights,etc, The only thing I ca think of testing next will require a test meter. Put a lead on the positive terminal of the battery and touch the other to bare body metal - if it read 12 volts you're ok to that point and if it isn't 12 volts then there is no ground thru the body to the battery.

110

what does that have to do with the radio or headlights,etc...just to let you know that no power is getting to anything. ok i will try it...thank you. the other thing i was thinking is that there is some kind of burned out module or fuse that blew that shuts down everything.

17,065

I meant the red engine light only comes on to tell you that there is a problem in the engine; therefore, you would normally have everything else working even when this engine light is on. You have a total electric blackout and fuses control various individual sections just like in your house. If a kettle blows a breaker (fuse) for the kitchen circuit the lights in the bedroom still work. I think you may have a battery to ground issue but that's what you need the meter for - detective time.

110

got it...thanks again. i'll let you know what i find. if i find that it is a battery to ground issue, is that a matter of finding the short and is that usually easier than harder?

30

So did you figure it out? I'm having the same exact problem right now

180

I am having the exact same problem as well.. I would be grateful if someone could answer back? No power anywhere and the check engine light stays on no matter what.. key in or out of the ignition, off or on.. ??

30

2006 impala wont light up or start

20

I touch the positive an neg an my car won't turn on just engine on no power what is the problem more likely

I have the same problem. Did you ever find out what's wrong. I could really use the help. Thank you

10

I also have the same issue in 2003. Be nice if someone could walk me thru fixing myself. Can't afford a mechanic.

This may not be the answer ppl are looking for but I have done extensive probing researching etc. I have the same problem... checked all. The fuses in both fuse boxes and jumped all the main relays and still nothing...I installed a system off of the pink ignition wire under the column and that's where things went wrong...if I give that wire constant 12v I r e gain all power and can start the car but just can't figure out why the bcm isn't getting any power...there must be an in line fuse between the fuse box and bcm

20

I have this problem now help me please

10

Same problem. Engine light on . Brand new battery. Nothing works.

110

turned out that my problem was a loose ground on car frame to the battery

10

BCM fuse

20

I have the same issue changed every fuse and relay replace the entire ground wire system I mean every ground wire and the only way it starts is you still have to let it sit with the key in and on for 10 to 15 minutes and it will all come on and start very strange issue

10

Mine is showing bcm. Started out occasionally and now can be a couple times a day. I have a mechanic looking into it. He doesn't know if I need a new bcm or just reprogram the old one. Sometimes it's the ignition switch, which is a recall.

10

Well, after replacing the bcm and having it reprogrammed from the dealership, 2 weeks and $340 later, car wouldn't start again. Changed ignition cylinder with passlock chip, $170, think it may finally be the problem....