2001 Subaru outback running hot

Asked by Feb 24, 2015 at 12:17 PM about the 2002 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon

I can't seem to be getting all different answers ....My 2002 Subaru starting running hot
when I was on the highway...This was with heat off!!!!   I the put heat on high hoping the
needle would come down and what happened was I was getting cool air instead of hot...I
pulled over and waited for engine to cool before I opened the radiator cap...I noticed the
radiator was down low again from antifreeze....I filled the radiator and over flow before I
left to go on the highway ..Heads and water pump was done last year...Can someone
who knows these cars tell me if it's possible the therosate is sticking, or radiator cap is
bad or possibly crack in a hose or water pump failure????? Why am I losing anti freeze
in a matter of 20 minutes?????????

The reason the heater didn't work was because the radiator fluid was not going through the heater's heat exchanger to heat up the air. The fluid wasn't going through the system because it was not full and the water pump does not pump air very well. Most likely there is nothing wrong with your thermostat. The problem is due to a leak some where in the system. It could be an external leak from the radiator core, waterpump, or a hose. Look for drips on the ground, but sometimes the external leaks can be hard to find. Or, it could be an internal leak. The head work you had done last year could be to blame. If it is a internal leak, you should check you oil dip stick. If you see evidence of something that looks like a frothy milk shake coolant is leaking into the oil. If you have an automatic transmission also check your transmision fluid. If it looks like a strawberry milk shake you have coolant in the transmision fluild. If you can't find the leak take it in for service they can do a leak check which should not cost that much.

Heads where done last year as well as waterpump.....Radiator still had antifreeze but. lost About a qt.

Was this a one time problem, or are you continuing to loose antifreeze over time? One thing to keep in mind when re-filling is to make sure you purge all of the air out of the system. To purge the air out simply let the car warm up for about ten minutes until the thermostat opens (temp gauge moves from the C position). Then add more coolant. You may need to repeat this a couple of times. Then after you drive it for a half hour or more top it off again.

Ended up taken it somewhere to get checked out .....I need my car and don't have help....Thanks for everything

I believe it's the water pump, I can see anti freeze dripping under the front of the car while running...I need to know where the water pump. Is located so I know the leak I'm seeing is that..

The water pump is driven by the timing belt and is located at the front lower portion of the engine. The lower radiator hose connects to it. If there is a puddle of coolant under the front of the car emanating from the timing belt cover, chances are that the water pump seal has failed. The water pump is equipped with weep holes; it the seal fails, coolant will leak from them.

Under the front on the drivers side ....if that's where the pump is