Installing a DRY, used transmission, where did i go wrong?

Asked by Aug 08, 2016 at 01:38 PM about the 2001 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon

I'm at a loss.
Recently I replaced my 4EAT with another used one with 60K miles on it (and a new cheap torque convertor I got from a transmission shop) after mounting it up, putting the engine back in and adding 2 gallons of ATF it doesn't seem like my AT is pumping fluid after checking the levels. I cant be for sure though.
One thing is for sure, when shifting nothing happens.

I'm thinking:

1. bad trans pump
2. bad torque convertor
3. Wrong hose connections going to the radiator
4. some wire is unplugged or faulty

any idea?

How do you know that the exchange transmission only has 60,000 miles on it? This is a classic example of why it's better to just have your old transmission rebuilt...

Mark, you are COMPLETELY off the wall here! Rebuilding 4EAT's was such a disastrous program for Subaru of America that the business they used in NJ all gave up after repeated come-backs! The ONLY sure-fire easy way to handle a bad 4EAT is to swap oin a WHOLE unit and drain-and-refill a couple of times to rinse- clean. Christ.... To the thread-head: probably NOT #3. I hope it's simply #4, but fear that it's #2. Good luck.

check opposedforces and compare your previous trans code with the one you got and make sure the year range allows for swapping. There can be multiple codes for the range, like they might have made some small changes or something. Yeah 4EAT's are mostly the "same" but it's not "any fits all". Looking forward to your response. Also, what kind of steps did you follow for warm up, checking fluid level, etc?

OK, Ernie, thanks for the information, I didn't know that.... now I do. BUT, it's usually NOT a good idea to purchase a "used transmission"", or "used/exchange engine"... you NEVER know what you are getting. Plus, back to my original question,. how do you really know how many miles are on any part you purchase used..SO, you're saying buy these replacement units "brand new"???

Purchasing a replacement transmission for a 2001 transmission "brand new" would be pretty expensive, not to mention if you can easily do this point, maybe it would be better to just get a late model car and replace the whole thing.

No. Used from a trusted source, with a 6 mo wty. Common as white rice.

I understand , BUT, the operative phrase here is "trusted source"...

Hmm, I'm beginning to think about what you told me a while ago, it's more about time than mileage..... I'm wondering if I would want to keep a 16 years old car like this and just go for a safer newer model..