Knock Sensor bolt size?

30

Asked by Dec 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM about the 2001 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon

My new, used car has no knock sensor, I need to get a new bolt to install one. Does
anyone know if this is a special bolt, and/or what size it is?

8,030

Is there an independent subaru repair shop near you ? In my area we have the subaru specialist. You may be wise to discuss the part and why it is not there ?

30

It's not there because the garage stole it for another car with a defective knock sensor (they were hacks!!!!)

8,030

They what, then released your car to you with a warning light on ? They tampered with an emission part and let it enter FMEM and then LOS and it started polluting ? That would put them in real legal danger if you report them to the car emissions authority. Not even hacks are that dumb. Sounds kinda sketchy. Did you have a warning light that set a code and led you to inspect for the knock sensor ? This is unclear. but the bolts for many engine parts that just attach and mount there are metric, have 10 millimeter heads and 6 mm shank, and the thread pitch could be 1.5 , 1.25 either can be possible. then you need to probe for max length and get one shorter for each hole you fill.

8,030

also I have seen 1.0 pitch. Using a similar bolt or tap can help decide what it needs. You could also take it to that shop and demand they correct it. Let them know your concern in case the owner is alright but his employees are the undesirable weasels.

30

lol,. thx guys! Yea,.. they were supposed to install the new sensor for me,. but with the bullshit I went through dealing with THAT mechanic. I don't want his hands on my car ever again,.. I will get my own bolt, and install it myself!!! :) I don't need to get them in trouble, I'm sure if they are doing these types of things, they will do it to themselves! Karma's a Batch!

30

Oh, to answer the above,.. the inspection came with the car, emissions failed,. so I got the clear sticker, with the paperwork to get it fixed within 120 days. I kept getting a run around story, how, this guy ordered it,.. then, oh, he never ordered it,.. I just ordered it,.. oh, he is gonna order it. Is about the time I got mad enough to call his boss, who couldn't believe he didn't do it for me yet(20 days later). First and last time I deal with that place!

8,030

If your sensor is the same as the 80's and 90's you must leave room for the height above; as it goes thru.

30

thx guys!,. I mean Danny! :D yes, it is exactly how you said, I have heard many good things about the owner, and he has been good to deal with, all of my problems have came directly from his employee!

8,030

The best part for a subaru is the subaru part. everything else has to be chased down, beaten, dragged out into the daylight, and a steak driven thru it. You always use an older part when you finally fix it right.

30

Im sorry, room for the height above? are you talking about how long the bolt is?

8,030

yes, the sensor is, like a wheel , The bolt would be like an axle. when sizing the depth, you would add the sensor width.

30

ahh yes,.. I got ya,. I was a machinist for a big part of my life, so that is all common sense stuff for me, lol. THanks a bunch for your input!