I have a Subaru outback limited 2001

Asked by Jan 11, 2015 at 06:08 PM about the 2001 Subaru Outback Limited

What are the best brand of tires for this car?

Purchase original equipment sized tires according to the owner's manual. I would say all season tires would work best for most driving conditions unless you live all year in snow. Continental is an excellent brand, although there are many other great choices.

i ues the General Altmax snow tires for here in the northeast in the winter time

Yes, go with Kinker's recommendation here, I am just broadly speaking name recognition for quality, but, I live in Southern California and he would likely have more direct experience about particular tires. I recently was talking with a person about Outbacks in the local mountain areas where they normally require chains, I know that they don't use chains in urban areas, they salt the roads. In the Outback owners manual it says that chairs cannot be used on Outback's. What I told is this, in the mountain areas, local authorities recognize immediately that Subaru's , particularly Outback's, are capable of holding their own without chains, they just wave them by at the check points. Nice to know.

I used to use studded tires on my vechicles here in western mass but have much research and personal expericiences i deside to go with dedicated snow tires I will be taking mine off in a week or so so i don't wear them out the snow tires seem to have better control than the ones that are studded anid i think my outback is great in snow we had a LOT of snow here this year and I have never gotten stuck just drove right thru the stuff

oh yeah with snow tires go down to the smaller size i think mine are 215/16/ 60s the regular ones re 225/16/60

Everything I've read about the Subaru Outback indicates that it's one of the most sure footed cars in all kinds of weather thanks to the symmetrical all wheel drive. Good to hear that it's working so well. I may find it useful someday in bad weather, but, it never really snows in LA, except maybe once every 50 years or so.

LOL thats funny Mark . i had a 2000 ford taurus and even with studded snow tires i did not like driving it in the snow now i will go anywhere with the subaru

Yes, well, I understand it's good on slippery roads in rain. We do get rain in LA when the drought isn't an issue which is turning into a serious problem here now.

The Subaru Outback has spectacular ground clearance which makes it ideal for travelling through harsh environments. The Ford Taurus was I'm sorry to say a pathetic car riddled with all sorts of problems, particularly, a weak transmission and the people I knew who had one were delighted to get rid of it.

I wasn't sorry to see mine go either i only paid $700.00 for it and kept it for three years without putting a ton of work into it Some guy backed into me and damaged the front end I could have gotten if fixed for about $300.00 but the insurance company just sent me a check for $1200.00 so i brought the Subaru I always get collision when I get a vechicle and it has always paid off . This was the third car i had that was totaled and my insurance company told me I have an ecellent driving record ( who can figure) lol

I agree, carrying collision insurance on all your cars no matter how old is a very good idea.