Is it better to run Orange antifreeze in my 2000 Outback 2.5 H4 Subaru

135

Asked by Mar 22, 2015 at 01:27 PM about the 2000 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon

Does the color of antifreeze make any difference.

17,415

Use the Subaru Super Coolant from the dealer, it's designed for the car and will help with your head gaskets, cheap insurance.

Best Answer
135

Hey Mark if you had to choose 2000 VW bug 1.8t 129,500 miles 5 speed manual, or a 2000 Subaru outback limited 2.5 H4. 148,700 Automatic which would you roll with?

135

Super coolant says its for use in 2009 and newer models. Will this effect let say a 2000 2.5 H4?

17,415

Definitely the Subaru, Asian cars overall are better built and designed than German cars. I've had two VW'S and never again, these cars were fine when new but, they didn't age well. They needed constant maintenance. Also, the Subaru boxer engine is a really great motor, just look at the Subaru high mileage club online and you'll see countless entries from people who love their cars. Believe it or not, modern automatic transmissions have a better life span than manual transmissions and get better mileage. The Subaru has the larger displacement engine which means at highway speeds it will turn much slower in rpm's than the 1.8 on the VW. The Subaru Outback will give you more versatility than the VW, and have better resale-value in the future since it's a station wagon, and you can tow more weight with it. Finally, the flat Four boxer engine is set really low in the engine compartment giving you a better center of gravity and better cornering.

17,415

Subaru Super Coolant is supposed to be changed every 11 years or 137,500 miles according to the owners manual. It's a specially formulated product for use in their cars. Be careful not to overheat a Subaru, or any other car because you don't want to risk a head gasket failure. The replacement multi layered head gaskets introduced in the 2010 models were designed to minimize head gasket failures.

17,415

theelement23 - I imagine that you own the 2000 Outback Limited and were thinking of getting the VW? Or was that a general question?

17,415

OK, just looked at your profile and see you had a 1999 Subaru GT, why did you get rid of that car?

135

So its fine to run Super Coolant in really any year of Subaru?

135

How about 2005 Audi A4 2.0t automatic w/ tiptronic? I was warned to stay away.

17,415

theelement23 - OK, if you had the 99 Forester GT 2.5, it's more truck like than the Subaru Outback. The Outback is a more refined and luxurious car. It's on the larger Subaru Legacy platform while the Forester is on the Impreza platform, huge difference. As far as Subaru Super Coolant, why not use it, they recommend and sell it for their clients. Call the Subaru dealer and speak to them, I'm sure they would be happy to confirm this. I've never owned or had experience with an Audi, have you checked what Edmunds says? It's a German car, and you know, even Mercedes Benz has been slipping in quality. The best cars are Honda, Lexus, Toyota and Subaru not in any particular order here. But, overall, it really depends on what your needs are.

135

I made a huge mistake. In my listing i said had. I started getting worried about my 1999 GT when she turned 226,500 i decided to trade her in.They gave me $3000. Where i made the mistake was trading her for a 2003 Land Rover SE7 4.6 Disco. I mean i really like to drive the Disco its very comfy and gets plenty of looks here in Roseburg Oregon. So with 147,590 i am scared i wish i would have did more research before like meeting you online. Now i am driving to Portland Oregon tomorrow to trade in the Disco and loose my ass like $1,500 or more,and they have my 1999 GT for sale for $4800 i was !@#%. The car dealership i purchased my 1999 GT is where i am going again. They have a 2000 Outback 2.5 H4 Limited wagon i mentioned earlier. And a Bug i also mentioned. I miss my 2.5 GT. I am getting the Outback with 148,000 miles. And will start over again. Oh well you have been a great help. I am glad we met online. Where are you from?

17,415

theelement23 - Just so you know, the 2005 A-4 is on the used models to avoid list in the April 2015 issue of Consumers Reports.

135

To avoid list. Ouch.

17,415

I live in Los Angeles. Good luck with your choice of the Subaru Outback. Drive the car and see how it feels. Remember, condition is everything in a used car. I had a beautiful 1995 Honda Accord EX station wagon that I sold privately for $3,000 last May to a family member. They wanted the car and it was in immaculate condition and I may have been able to get more, but, it was a family deal. I purchased that car brand new and kept every receipt on that car from day one. I sold it because it wasn't working with my teardrop trailer, too low to the ground. The Outback has a higher ground clearance and better towing capacity. I keep my cars a long time and maintain them like an airplane. My theory is, it doesn't matter how old the car is as long as everything works and it serves my needs. I don't need the latest model per se, but, I appreciate having some standard features that makes it enjoyable. So, I decided to purchase the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited last year as a certified used car and save the money from buying new. Depreciation is pretty steep on new cars and I'm retired now. This 2010 is really nice and has the new CVT Lineartronic transmission. Very smooth and powerful for a 2.5-liter Four. Interestingly, the Six can tow 3,000 pounds and my Four can tow 2,700 pounds. My trailer only weighs 1,000 fully loaded since it's all fiberglass, so, this was the best solution for me with gas mileage etc. I even towed this to the top of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon last year with no problems. Sorry to hear about your Land Rover Discovery, I've heard mixed things about Land Rovers. They're generally very expensive vehicles and I think there's an expectation when people get them that they're great. Unfortunately, price does not always dictate quality in cars. So, I guess that the Discovery has disappointed you, the fuel mileage on these vehicles is not that great? The Subaru Outback is one of the best cars in snow, but, we don't have any except the local mountains where I live. In Oregon, I imagine that will come in very handy. Is the Discovery bad in snow?

17,415

You know, this is such a classic, you trade in your 99 Subaru Forester GT for $3,000 and they turn right around and mark it up for resale to $4,800. I'll bet they gave it the once over inspection in the shop, maybe put new tires and brakes on it? That's how dealers make money. That's why they love people who lease cars for three years, pay all the depreciation up front and then turn around and sell the car again to make more profits. Dealers really don't want people to come in and "buy" cars; they really want people to lease cars and create a market for them to maximize their profit margins.

135

I have only had the Disco for like 1 month and have put a few hundred into oil, tranny service and transfer case. Plus new windshield. My 1999 Subaru Legacy sadan 2.5 GT Black i will send you a pic k. i am ok with saying Her name was Sara. Everything was great nothing for the dealership to even check out. All was perfect..

17,415

You're better off dumping the Land Rover. I was surprised to discover that in the April Annual Auto Issue 2015 of Consumers Reports not one Land Rover made their recommended list and these vehicles sell from $40,000 to $186,000. Absolutely ridiculous! Yes, paste a picture of your vehicle on your profile, thanks.

17,415

theelements 23- I've got a few more suggestions for you when you go test drive the 2000 Subaru Outback, first, ask them this, 1. at what mileage and what year did the timing belt get changed, 2. did they replace the water pump and service the cooling system at the same time, 3. has the car ever had work done on the head gaskets, when, and was it recent enough in the last five years to get the new multi layered head gaskets. 4, has the car ever been in an accident, and 5, can they show you a CARFAX? Good luck. I'll send you a picture of my car and trailer together.

17,415

theelement23 - here's a picture of my 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited with the teardrop trailer. One final thing about Land Rovers, they share the same mechanical engineering as Jaguars and Jaguars have never been known to be mechanically sound.

17,415

theelement23, that's a fine looking 1999 Subaru Legacy GT, thanks for sharing, and hope your trade in goes well.

17,415

theelement23 - By the way, I uploaded more pictures of my 2010 Subaru Outback Limited to my profile. --Mark

135

Hey Mark :) Look @ my 2001 OB Limited I got 185 miles on 6.5 gallons on the way back from PDX. Her name is Magen she has 141,000 miles and i purchased a warranty with her also:) Rear tires look 75% front maybe 5000 left. So soon i will be getting the same as the rear again. Why do people do that to AWD vehicles, uno change tread patterns so rotation gets all screwed up. Anyways how you been?

135

Buy the way is that a AC unit in the front of your teardrop?

17,415

Yes, we're out with the teardrop trailer this weekend. Congrats on getting the 2001 Subaru Outback. Having all the same tires exactly alike is desirable. Did you see the question I posted about Kelley Blue Book mileage on the Outback vs Impreza. Seems like the allowance for the Outback is higher, for example, my 2010 with normal mileage is 75,000 while the same 2010 Impreza is allowed 65,000. Very interesting.

135

Your wife I take it? Looks like a neat get up you got. How about some trees and camp fire friend, maybe some train for the Subie to have some fun on? Life is good

17,415

Yes, just the two of us and arrived late yesterday, too late for a fire, but, we'll have one tonight. What did you wind up paying for your 2001?