91 Subaru loyale lifter knocks really bad

Asked by Feb 13, 2013 at 04:06 AM about the 1991 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

Flushed out and knocks when cold stops when hot.

Try changing to a lighter oil. If you run, say, 10/40 try 5/30. Just MIGHT do the trick

That is due to needing to adjust your lifters, or clean them out. I agree using lighter oil will work and so will Marvels Mystery Oil. But to fix it, you kinda have to lift the motor out...so I added 1QT of Marvels in place of a regular 5 quart oil change and waited for it to get worse. It didn't until i replaced the fuel pump with a un- regulatedfuel pump. That blew my motor...lol. But I continue to work on Loyales with that knock. Eventually when they get warm it stops. Trying higher octane gas might work as well!

575

To fix noisy ticking Loyale engines, do the following in this order: Replace oil pump "mickey mouse" seal (may want to replace oil pump as well, but problem is typically collapsed seal allowing air to get sucked in which aerates the oil). If still ticking, rebuild and reseal cam towers. If still ticking rebuild/replace all the lifters. Simplest solution, turn up the radio. The lifter ticking is annoying, but really doesn't hurt anything.

Had the same problem, it was very embarrassing! Went and bought a bottle of "ValveMedic" for $2.69 and followed the directions, Lifters stopped knocking in about 5 min. I'm so happy! Hoping they won't start knowing again after I change the oil.

465

Yeah man just tune up the stereo, haha, that's what i do.