Idle Problem

10

Asked by Nov 02, 2010 at 03:42 AM about the 1991 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD Sedan

I have a 91 Loyale that ldles at 3 1/2 when I am driving down the road at 55 mph.  If I drive faster like 65 it will be at 4 or higher.  I'm not sure where to start.  Please help.

5,735

well this isn't an "idle" problem, are your tire's the proper size?

10

Yes the tires are the right size. It seems to be getting worse. Also when I am going up hill I can put the pedal to the floor and it barely goes 55.

5,735

sounds to me like you have a bad clutch you did say you have a standard in the car description right?

5,735

that or your cylinder compression is shot and your about to lose your motor, this would mean new rings which will cost $1500-$2000+ for new rings to be installed so take it to a shop have them check the compression if the compression is good your clear there and plan on replacing a clutch and flywheel at about $800-$900.

115

Sounds like a clutch going out. I replaced mine for $150 bucks and my labor. I caught mine before any major damage had occured to the flywheel. Not an extremely tough task, just time consuming with the removal of axles and exhaust, but it was done in my garage with no heat in the winter time and just me.