Idle rough

Asked by Jul 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM about the 1994 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

I have a miss on my 1.8. I have gave it a tuneup and it made no change. I did a compression test and found that the rear cyl on the left side has 70 psi and the front has 105. It does not use any oil or coolant. I cannot figure out what is going on any help would be great.  Thanks.

Ben

10

I just bought one of these. I thought mine had a miss judging from the sound of the motor. Never had a boxer before. I did a tune up to mine trying to solve this miss. The "miss" became more prominent and louder, yet the car performed much better giving what I believe to be full power. I looked up some Youtube videos and all of them sounded like mine. Something tells me those 10 plus cars didn't share a similar miss with mine. Think it's just how these engines sound. Now, if you've had yours for a while and you know that you have a miss, can we get a little more details on it? Is it consistent? Just one cylinder, or does it fluxuate? Test this by pulling a plug wire off of ONE plug with the car completely OFF. Start it. If it runs worse/won't start, that cylinder was hitting. Put that wire back on, and move down the line to the next. Same procedure all the way through till you find one that when pulled, the motor runs the same. That would be the cylinder that's missing. DON'T TOUCH THE PLUG WIRE WHILE CAR IS RUNNING unless you want a little jolt. lol Once you figure out what cylinder, maybe we can progress through this and get it running right again. Good luck, let us know!

4,275

Drop a little oil in the 70psi cylinder and re-test. If you get a higher reading then you have a bad piston ring. When is it missing? At idle? During a Certain speed? During a Certain RPM? When accelerating?