Does anyone know how much it should approximately cost if I replace head gasket, water pumps for my 1999 Subaru Outback legacy

20

Asked by Feb 12, 2015 at 01:39 PM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr Outback AWD Wagon

405

If the job is done right which would include new timing belt, waterpump, cam and crank seals, spark plugs and fluids it should be $1500 or so, that assumes the heads are not sent out to a machine shop for servicing. The job requires removal of the engine and if you are doing one head gasket do the other one also while the engine is out.

5,855

Everything above; price can vary for depending on what type of shop / dealer and other reasons from 1200-3000ish. Also, I don't think it is required to remove the engine. This thread has DOHC and SOCH 2.5 help without engine removal: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/how-replace-ej25-head-gaskets-without-removing-engine-57335/ Tenzy, is all of this because your car doesn't heat up while idling/at a stop verses heating up while driving?

20

Yes. Now I am replacing head gasket hopefully it will solve the overheating problem

405

It is common for Subarus to not over heat at idle but slowly overheat on longer drives on the highway. They are prone to small head gasket leaks in the lower corner of particularly cyl #4. Also, while it is technically possible to replace a head gasket in some models with the engine in the vehicle it is honestly not the right way to do it and may be a band aid to get a little time but it really doesn't save all that much time. Subaru engines are about the easiest engines there are to remove so in the end you are only talking about saving a couple hours off the job but not getting a quality repair in my opinion.

Best Answer
5,855

Tenzy, I thought your initial question had to do with the heater in the car.

20

It's the engine that over heat and temperature gauge goes way up. Over heat when I drive not even on the highway but does not overheat when I am at idle for more than an hour

5

I have a 07 legacy me and a friend just took the engine out to replace head gaskets timing and water pump all together it took us 20 hours of labor. I'm not a mechanic he is I just helped so it is a very long process. A lot of the time if you don't take the engine out the head bolts don't come out comepletely straight and subaru won't warranty that style of job. Those head bolts are huge and the torque on them is like 36 pounds. Take the time do it right or ruin your headers and cry over the huge bill for them to be redone or buy new ones. Which gets very pricey.

5,855

If it is under warranty, why would you do all that work? The link I put up there offers both in bay and completely removed and both work well as not everybody has the tools to completely remove the engine. Anyway, I hope it all got resolved but I am not sure if Tenzy was the one doing the work. Just asking for expected "retail" prices. Best regards,