On a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon, what do these codes mean? P0130, P0136, P0500, and P1100, P1101, P1120, P1121, P1540? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 02:09 PM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr Outback AWD Wagon

I have had my Subaru to three different repair shops, one being a Subaru dealer and no
one could make the car put out it's repair codes.  I did some reading and connected the
green connection under the dash. The check engine light came on and  I drove it to a auto
part store and got the repair codes.  Now I need to know if fix the big repairs, will that fix
some of the other code's the car is putting out or does it all needs to be repaired?  I can't
believe that even a Subaru Dealership couldn't make the car show it's repair code but a
Sixty one year old women could hunt it down !     Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What EXACTLY did you do again..green connection..without a scanner?

P0130 is o2 sensor, P0136 heated o2 sensor P0500 is vehicle speed sensor P1100 barometric sensor. P1121 Neutral safety switch That's all I ran..you have a mess on your hands sorry to say

If the CEL didn't come on until you did whatever you did to the OBD port, and the car was not acting up before (or was it?) something is odd here...and some of those guys at parts store have no clue how to do an OBDII scan properly..not all mind you, I'm not putting them down, many do know. But there is more to it than plugging the scanner in and reading..I have seen them just push buttons to 'see what happens'...and they use low-end scanners

And what did you read..you really got me curious on this one Karen.

It was the Lt. green plastic connectors on the right side of steering wheel. I disconnected the battery cables for awhile, connected the plastic connection, put the battery cables back on, started the Subaru up and the ck. engine light came on ( it never had come on before that ), drove to the auto store , had the codes read , ignition on, engine was not running! I wrote the codes down and drove it back home. It had been running bad for about a year but no ck. Engine light , it never through any codes before that! It's a 2.5 engine, I had the front 02 sensor replaced about a yr. ago, it drove a little better but not for long. It has a small oil leak. Could the oil from that leak , foul and or anyway mess up the wiring and or the connections on any of those sensors???

7,335

It's been a year or two, but I remember reading (at least on the subaru foresters we have) to never mess with the green connections that are unplugged or plugged. Can you provide the webpage you found on that? About the oil leak, I do not think an actual leak will mess with your sensors and connections, unless it is leaking directly on something, which I think would be unlikely. There are tons of gurus on forums, NASIOC, subaruoutback.org, etc. I would start a thread and copy and paste all the above and ask for help. You may also have someone clean the throttle body - that being dirty can make it run a little rough.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thank you for the information! The oil leak isn't real bad but it's coming from the bottom of the manifold ( upper right side ). From what I can tell the P1codes are make and model specific. With all the codes it put out , there are the up- stream and dowm-stream 02 sensors , the VSS sensor malfunction , starter switch circuit malfuction ( motor ) , starter switch circuit ( high input ) , neutral switch circuit ( A/T - high input ), neutral position switch circuit ( A/T- low input ), and VSS malfunction ( longtime diagnosis ). I'm not sure if I should first get the oil leak fixed and them , just get all new sensors! Not sure what it all means or what's the best thing to do the Subaru?

7,335

Well.. the oil leak could be your head gasket weeping. Both of my foresters have a weeping leak in that area and a lot of subies do, unfortunately. Anyway, when you turn your car to ACC, does the orange check engine light (or similar) light up for 3-5 seconds? I think the battery light should also come on for the same amount of time. It is surprising that all those issues and it still runs.. However, as you asked initially, will one, or a few, fix them all? *shrugs* maybe? That's really hard to say. There are a lot of sensors that rely on other sensors to do their job. But umm.. I would really like to hear what you find from forum guru peeps, especially about the green connectors ;) Some are certified subie tech's and such, which is really cool. Wish I had more / better info for you. Please keep us posted.