My 2006 chevy cobalt is stutting real bad...only stutters when I stop or slow down. I took it to firestorm automotive to have them look at it. I was told I might need a tone up and a fuel system clean, so I got the tone up, but it still stutters! Do you think it needs a fuel system clean or is it something more?

Asked by Nov 06, 2014 at 04:08 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

58,375

Did the tuneup,consist of new plug,s,wire,s and filter,s?And has all the recall,s been done on your cobalt?

My paperwork said they only replaced the spark plugs. Do you think maybe my wires need replacing also? Should have they did that with the tone up or is that a different fix? Because when my car does stutter when I stop or slow down my car lights dim.

Oh yeah the recalls have been done already

3,495

If you're taking it in to a shop any way, why not take it to one that knows how to do proper diagnostics and can identify the actual problem before replacing random parts and taking your money. If the shop is using words like "maybe" and "might" that tells me they really don't know. It is actually possible to diagnose many of the problems modern cars have, but not all mechanics have the expertise or inclination to do so. Find one who does and he'll save you money and give you a driveable car as a bonus.

I'm tried of dealing with anyone really.....the dealer wants an ass load of money I'm not willing to pay for and I'd rather just figure it out myself with a bust of help.

3,495

If you have endless amounts of money to throw at this car then your approach might actually work. But I doubt it. Modern cars are extremely difficult to diagnose at times because so much of what they do or don't do is controlled electronically. You can spend hundreds of dollars randomly changing parts and still never fix the problem. Dealerships are very expensive and sometimes even they aren't the best at doing the diagnostics first. It really does take a certain breed of technician and they are out there, often working in independent shops. Ask around. Chances are someone you know knows of such a shop. Take your car there, get it looked after and go back to enjoying your car. Good luck.