Timing chain broke I think on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe only 96,445 miles when it broke I wasn't driving it it broked when I went to start it to have it taken to a mechanic and I want to know

Asked by Nov 26, 2015 at 01:06 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe FWD

Could it have damaged anything
because I already bought the new
chain and water pump I'm praying it
didn't damage anything because I
really need my car for work can
someone please help me with this I
Really appreciate it

122,925

It's a rubber belt and I doubt any damage has taken place. Glad you decided to change the water pump as well...

66,735

If it is a 2.2 engine it has a chain. It likely jumped time due to a tensioner failure. It is an interference engine so depending on how far the timing jumped, there could be valve damage. This is a fairly common problem.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Even if I wasn't driving the car when the chain broke I still could have damage done to my car? When I tried cranking my car up before the chain broke it crunk up but it made a funny noise and didn't sound right so I immediately cut it off... Gave it a min then tried to start it up again but it wouldn't crank... it only spent over

270

bob is spot on correct usually that is how the chain tensioner fails on start up due to excessive slack in the chain and no oil pressure on the tensioner, you might be ok only way to tell is put the chain on and run it to see

and it that doesn't work then what a mechanic I know was going to already charge me $600 just to put the new timing chain and water pump on

270

then you are going to have to replace the bent valves, on ebay they sell a kit for your motor that gives you all the things you need to replace the timing chain and balancer chains for about $90

What's the name of the parts I will need if my valves are bent

66,735

If valves are bent usually a new, rebuilt or used cylinder head is required, along with head gasket, other gaskets, coolant and labor. It is not a do it yourself job for most people. I would have the timing chain and associated parts replaced and see if it fires up and runs. If it doesn't run or runs poorly a compression test will determine if a valve or valves are bent. A broken timing chain or belt is never a good thing. Usually it costs lots of money. It is another poor design by GM. Timing chains should last the life of an engine. Best of luck with it.

66,735

Also I would NEVER buy critical engine parts on E-bay. There is no guaranty and no way to verify the quality of the parts. I would buy named brand aftermarket of genuine GM parts only for this engine.

Any idea on how much this is going to cost me

66,735

No way to tell the cost until repairs are started. Your mechanic should be able to give you some information.

He telling me I should buy another motor but he never looked at my car

5,165

He's probably seen enough of them to know what he's going to find. If it was just turning over with the starter when the chain failed you may be OK, but if it actually started you will most likely have bent valves and possibly damaged pistons. Just taking it apart and diagnosing it can take quite a few hours and then after all that if its not repairable you have to start over. Used engines for that car are plentiful and not very expensive. There is a lot of labor to change them out though so be prepared for a big bill. The car is an '07 and its only an LS so it may not be worth it.

How much should a used motor cost me if that is the case

5,165

It all depends on where you're located. I'm in Canada so prices are often a lot different than in the US. When I replaced the engine in my '06 I found one on Kijiiji that the owner had already removed from a car that he had wrecked. I would think and afternoon of research and emailing should get you one for about $400-$500 and maybe a freight bill if you're not able to pick it up yourself. I'm sure auto wreckers have millions of them so do a little negotiating if you go that route.

Ok well the mechanic just came and picked my car up so hopefully I'll know something soon

5,165

Hope it goes well. Let us know.

I was giving a 2007 Chevrolet Colbart it needs a timing belt. What do I expect , Would this be a major problem for me ?

5,165

It could be. It’s actually a timing chain. If it failed with the engine running at any sort of speed it will likely have valve and piston damage and will not be worth repairing. Do proper diagnostics first before spending money on this car..