1993 Subaru Legacy Issues

40

Asked by Jul 16, 2011 at 02:57 PM about the 1993 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L Sedan

I've had my 1993 Subaru Legacy for about 2 years now, and it ran great when I first got it. After about 6months I started noticing that I was not getting a lot of power to my electrial instruments ( windows, radio, dash, etc), and my Rpm's would throttle every time I pressed the accelerator, even at stop lights the Rpm's would jump up to 2 or 3 for some reason. I lived with the problem thinking it was prob. just my batt. but it wasn;t because my batt. checks out good along with my alt.
Recently I took the car out of town and drove it longer then my normal commute, on the trip my car started acting crazy. While I was driving at night the dash lights started to dim until completely gone ( along with my headlights), the radio got quieter and quieter until gone. and I lost all power, then my transmission would start jerking my automatic car around like I was a newbie manual driver getting stuck in gears. Then it just simply shook like crazy and died. It won;t turn over or anything now, (although i still have batt. features like open door light etc.) I took it to an mechanic who said it might be the ECU, but thought it could be something else and needed to be able to run the codes.  I was wondering if anyone else has had issues like this that seem both electrical, and mechanical at the same time. Someone also said I could be a timing belt, but as a woman who isn't very mechanically inclined I'm lost. I don;t have the money to shell out $600 bucks for a new ECM without trying every possible resource so if anyone thinks they know what it might be, your help is greatly needed. Thanks a bunch!

40

I also wanted to add, that my car is a FWD, automatic, non-turbo,

45

I have a '93 legacy ls wagon...did the problem with the throttle revving up gradually get worse? Because I noticed sometimes when I first start my car the engine rev's up a bit by itself for a few KM's. No problems however with power getting to the electronics though.

10

Same thing happened to our 93 Legacy. It was the Alternator. Got it replaced and everything works fine now.