1990 Subaru Justy Howling

Asked by Apr 01, 2012 at 02:05 AM about the 1990 Subaru Justy 2 Dr GL 4WD Hatchback

I have a very loud howling coming from what seems like it is probably the drivers side front wheel.  It is
not present when the car is not moving or when I rev the engine.  My fuel economy dropped drastically
once this sound started.  Any help I could get on determining what this could be would be awesome.  
The vehicle is a 1990 Subaru Justy 2 door 4wd model.

6,495

sounds to me like a wheel bearing going out.

That is what I was thinking but I just had a guy replace it like 2 weeks ago. However, when he went to replace the one on the passenger side last week he noticed that there was a spacer that was missing on the drivers side he replaced 2 weeks ago. He later went back and put in a spacer but I am wondering if driving it without that spacer damaged the new wheel bearing causing it to make that sound. I am going to have to have him check it out again. Thanks for the help. I will let you know what it turns out to be. Austin

6,495

it's very possible not having that spacer in has caused an issue or if the bearing wasn't properly packed with new grease.

75

If you run your car with a new bearing without the spacer, the new bearing will possibly be damaged as the spacer helps to hold the bearing together and without pressure on the bearing it damages unbelievably fast. hope this helps