1990 corvette suspension

Asked by Nov 12, 2014 at 07:23 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

When I drive the car and run over a manhole cover that isn't flush with the road the
whole car shutters, I've looked at the front suspension and all appears ok, I did notice
that the shocks are original equipment but don't seem to leak, would new shocks
eliminate this problem. Thanks Bob Murphy

195

it does sound like the shocks could be the culprit,if you have never replaced them i would recommend that you do and only use the bilstein shocks.

Best Answer
14,365

There are so many ways to tell if your shocks are in need of replacement. Running over an open manhole cover just might be one of them. Push down on a fender and then let go quickly. If the car springs back up, then juggles a little bit, replace them. If you have over 60,000 miles on them, replace them. If the car appears to float a bit on bumpy roads, replace them. If you want a more firm ride and peace of mind, replace them. What you use is up to you. Do your research for the type of shocks you want according to your driving habits. I use Edelbrock dual two way shocks, and love them on my old 69 Corvette. Bilstein shocks are good shocks, but on the pricy side. If you have a Corvette club you know of, ask around. Same as spark plugs, or tires, depends on what you need, can afford, and desire.