Asked by Nov 06, 2015 at 01:35 AM about the Chevrolet Corvette

I has an 1983 Corvette Sting Ray and need to know if I can put fuel injection on it and get rid of the carburetor or will it cost too much and is it worth the effort and money

I'm getting old, but isn't 83 Vette a Throttle body injection system? Absolutely possible, but why? If carbuerated, you'd need computer systems, high pressure fuel system, tank, pressure lines install new computerized gauges, You want more pwr? A lot of easier ways to lift the front tires. Is existing Engine real stout? Steel crank, forged rods, align bored to max .10 overbore. NOTE: got a late 90s 3/4 C2500HD 350 cid motor available? HDs had steel crk, HD rods, the best aligned bores of all chevy blocks, Auto OD, plumbed for TBI, & cheap! Turbo it to 1 atmosphere (15.1 psi), check heads. Do not want 2.002 dbl humpers; do want 1.97 dbl hump smog heads (8.5:1 ideal -low compression ratio ) might have to upgrade to 780 cfm Holly converted to delayed mechanical secondaries or 800 cfm TBI throttle body from truck manifold . Is 800+ HP to rear tires on a street machine enough? Probably get fair mileage, if you can keep turbo boost down, yeah, right! I'm an old Chevy & Mopar horsepower creator, blessed by God with a talent, an ASE master. You need a mentor or my friend, your gonna be hornswaggled! Are you just talking or seriously planning. You got a real budget of $12k to 25k. You forsee & visualize your emotion when you turn that key, & feel that rumble no one else has or ever will feel again, Knowing You Did It! Write back. It's fun for me, but I don't waste my time. Calipthom.

Like calipthom asked about the TBI, I believe 83" was the first year for the Cross Fire engine that has 2 TBI on it. I had one. The Cross Fire injection got a bad rap because nobody at the time new anything about them. They are actually a nice set-up...

Trick question. Something rang a bell when I saw this, even though I am not a Corvette guy... just something ran my antennae up and I went to Wiki to look. Beavis and Butt-Head up there are playing a game or something.... there is no 1983 'Vette. Copied and pasted from Wiki: The fourth generation Corvette was the first complete redesign of the Corvette since 1963. Production was to begin for the 1983 model year but quality issues and part delays resulted in only 43 prototypes for the 1983 model year being produced that were never sold. All of the 1983 prototypes were destroyed or serialized to 1984 except one ....restored and is now on public display at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky. It is still owned by GM

I have read there were no sting rays between 76 and last year.

Bob Beaman

Spot on FordNut, an '83 Corvette would be worth a boat load of money. Perhaps the OP miss-typed the year.

Good info, guys. I lived & raced thru that era, mainly RBB Mopars, but often had 20 or so 301 to 400 cid small blocks around, & never new that factoid. Easiest engine ever to double output without giving up durability, & built for a pufffer, with 5 concentric headbolts sealing combustion.

John Carson

No matter what year,Edelbrock and Holly make a bolt on EFI to replace a carburetor. Go to their websites to look at them. I saw both setups at the Vegas SEMA show over the weekend. Both said the set up will increase HP, reduce emissions, and improve gas mileage. No matter what year Corvette and or Stingray or Sting Ray you own.

Hi guys. Fun chat. Thanks CalifCarson.The Holly TBI is a monster! Know some gear head's using street & track. Do you think you could fit, exhaust & turbo plumbing, & intercooler in the 83 (?) without cutting hood?. Definitely need to ditch the crossfire manifold. That would maybe allow 3" low profile turbo air exchanger between plenum manifold. It's just an abstract brainstorming now, we've lost the original interested party. Mostly, new modifiers get sticker shock, especially if they have to pay labor. Pt

John Carson

I do know if you call Holly or Edelbrock customer service, they can tell you how much clearance you will have. There are some intake manifolds that are low profile to help. On my intake, I can't put the air cleaner nut from Edelbrock as it sits 1/8" too high. They have experimented with all cars and trucks with their equipment so can answer the question of what can be done.

First , no such thing as an 83 corvette. The factory skipped a year, went from 82 to 84. Both years had cross fire injection.

Iv read that since, so mine was an 82', it's ben awhile...also crossfires got a bad name mainly because no one knew how to work on them at the time. When all is tuned properly, she moves along pretty good.