I just bought a 2004 Grand Prix GTP supercharged. Acted like it wanted to get hot so I changed the thermostat and water pump. Now the car says service stability system and reduced engine power.

Asked by Mar 17, 2015 at 11:10 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

The car ran fine til I changed the water
pump. Now it don't stay running but
while it is running it smells like its
burning rich. Need to know how to fix
it before I lose my job as this is my
only means of transportation.

38,355

Did you get any error codes yet? You won't be able to narrow down the issue unless you get a code. Otherwise you will just be buying random parts that may or may not fix the issue.

38,355

Here is what I found for the Service Stability light on another forum: The service stability light as well as the abs light are all connected to the wheel sensor. To fix it is simple if you know how to do a brake job,it is all connected to the hub assembly. I replaced both front wheel sensors due to that problem. You can by the hub assembly for around 100.00 dollars at auto zone. the wire that connects to the wheel always breaks and these codes come up. As for the loss of engine power, you should see if you can get a code. That could be one of many sensors giving you that problem.

38,355

If you find that your brakes are fine and no brake job is needed, check the sensor wires. If you find that they are broken, you should be able to splice them back together.