Replace power lock actuator

10

Asked by Jan 13, 2009 at 01:37 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I need to replace the rear passenger power lock actuator.  I have taken the door trim off and have removed the outside handle rod from the lock clip and am trying to figure out how to remove the inside door handle so I can release the rod and take out the lock (I've removed the 3 screws that secure the lock to the door).  All I see is a rivet attaching the inside door handle to the door.  Do I need to drill out the rivet to remove the inside door handle?  If so, what do I need to replace the rivet with (at first I thought this to be a dumb question, but I don't know of many people with spare rivets and rivet guns on hand to replace it)?  Could I just use a nut and bolt?
Thanks!

1,905

Raise the door window to the full up position. Remove the rivet (3) from the inside handle. 3.1. Use a center punch to drive the inside handle mounting rivet (3) mandrel into the rivet head to create a pilot hole. 3.2. Use a 6 mm (1/4 in) drill bit to drill out the rivet. 3.3. Remove the inside handle rod (1) from the lock rod guide block. Remove the inside handle (2) by sliding it forward until it releases from the door. Turn the inside handle clockwise to release the rod (1) from the inside handle. Remove the inside handle from the door.

1,905

also, if you don't have a rivet gun and rivet to re-install the handle, using a bolt and a lock nut or lock washer with a regular nut will be ok.

10

So I finished up replacing the lock actuator! Here are some tips in case anyone else planning on doing this to a 2004 Grand Prix. The lock actuator and the locking mechanism are both one piece so I ended up ordering it from the dealer ($138), since the actuator's I saw online are JUST the actuator and not the entire part. GM Part #: 15813546. There isn't any possible way that the actuators online will work unless you take apart the locking mechanism....which I'm not sure is even possible, so save yourself the time and just get it from the dealership. When I started putting the door back together I ended up using a cap screw socket (instead of using a rivet) with a lock washer and regular nut to attach the inner door handle back to the door after I drilled out the rivet holding it into place. I used a 1/4" x 3/4" and there was enough clearance behind it for the window. Thanks for your help!