2003 Pontiac Grand Prix key will not go to lock position

Asked by Jul 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

I have a 2003 pontiac grand prix and the key will not go all the way to the lock position(or past to the acc position). it will go to start, the car will start and it returns to the run position and no problems and then go off to turn car off but will not go to lock. the key will come out of the cylinder in any postion and if not in the lock position I am thinking someone could steal the car as the car 'thinks' it is in the on/run and ready to start. Will replacing just the keyed cylinder fix? is the old cylinder hard to get out? can the new cylinder and keys be reprogrammed to the security system? thanks

35

U most likely have a bad solenoid on ur sterring column and usuall have to put a whole new steering column in

685

I had the same problem.The gear that turns the tumbler inside the column is broken.You'll have to take it to a steering column repair shop.If you look on the underside of the column just under the key,you will see a plastic plug.Remove it and get a long skinny screwdriver or a nail and feel around for the release.Once you find it hold it,and turn the key to the lock position,and remove the key.This is a temporary"fix"

3,865

I too had the same problem. It was a wire that had broken internally. That wire powers the above mentioned solenoid. My mechanic who is a genius at finding such things said there is a GM bulletin on the subject. Apparently it was a problem on those cars. So, as always do some proper trouble shooting before you start buying parts or dismantling things, or find a competent mechanic who troubleshoots first.

40

This is a VERY common problem for the Grand Prix. Basically same as Ricardo's reply, but my plug was gone-so it was just a small opening underneath the steering column; we took a long skinning screw and shove it in there and left it.