My Pontiac Grand Prix 2002 has 160,000 miles but only driven 60,000 of it. Need to know if my transmission filter should be changed? (Cont.Question)

Asked by Jul 19, 2015 at 04:15 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Part 2 of my Question: Will I be at risk with
having the new transmission fluid put in? Or
more risk not changing filter? Heard
something about rubber shavings being
loose and if I change filter the dirty fluid is
still going to be an issue. I want this done
right. Need to make the the right decision.
Otherwise why spend 150 bucks if some kid
does it wrong and lose transmission after
10,000 miles. Probably taking it to someone

How does the transmission work right now and why do you want to change the fluid? I really don't think changing the fluid is a problem eight way, but, if you are really concerned, take your car to your trusted mechanic, not a fast lube place.

Best Answer

Just curious. Transmission works fine. Fluid is grey though?

Is grey fluid normal*?

Bob Beaman

Changing the fluid never hurts and is a good practice. If the fluid looks or smells burnt it needs changed. Avoid the quick lube places and avoid getting the fluid "flushed".

No, definitely not normal. Should be a pink color, sounds like by grayish color, we're really talking burned. Have you considered selling the car, I would probably get rid of it. At 160,000 miles, domestic cars are pretty much worn out with some exceptions. Really depends on how the car was cared for. Sounds like you got this car second hand? You've going to have to tell the prospective buyers about your problems or give them an opportunity to take it to their mechanic if they ask you.

Yes second hand used car. It got wrecked at some point. Got it for 5k in 2008 with 97,000 miles on it. Thanks for feedback. Taking it a Body shop guy to work on it in his garage let him change filter. Not sure about new fluid in transmission. Why would it harm it more than the older fluid? Is that a bad rumor floating around.

I never said anything about not changing the fluid other than take it your regular mechanic and not a Jiffy Lube type of place. I presume you have a trusted mechanic? Body shop guy? Why? Does your car have a lot of body damage? You know, nothing destroys the value of a car like a banged up car. It's the worst thing that can happen and it makes it much harder than sell. If your car is that damaged, I would just get rid of it. Hey, look at it this way, you purchased it 7 years ago and 60,000 miles ago for only $5,000. You've gotten your money's worth from this car. I would not invest any more money in this car, especially if its in bad condition. $5000/60,000 miles is only 8.3 cents per mile. You're doing fine, don't make the mistake of doubling down on a car with 160,000 miles at this point. If you were to put a new transmission in that car, it would cost you at least $2,000 and you might as well put that towards a replacement car, if you can afford it. Of course, it depends upon your budget. While it would be technically less expensive to just fix it, you're running a big risk that the engine might fail next and it would be years before you could see the return on your investment.

Car body is in great condition its been restored. I only had to repair window motors, replace headlights, replace a tire, a few batteries, several oil changes(motor is fine BTW), replaced a drive shaft, tierod, brake pads, repaired the cow thing between the hood/windshield, replaced wiper arm, replaced the turn signal/flasher/hazard stick in steering column and got radiator flushed. Typical maintenance stuff you replace on a 2002 car. I have a trusted mechanic. As long as car gets me to point A to point B I am good. I dealt with far older cars than this before with 85 Tempo and 89 topaz. I am saving money to buy a new car now. My Dad has a 2002 Dodge caravan as backup if I need it. Mark I was not directing the fluid question to just you.

Sure, thanks for your answer to clarify the fluid question. Actually , I believe in used cars. I purchased a 1995 Honda Accord station wagon brand new and kept the car for 20 years and 150,000 miles, so, I also believe in older cars. Also had a 1985 Ford Thunderbird I purchased in 1998 used and kept the car for 12 years. My current car is a 2010 Subaru Outback Limited I purchased as a certified used car in May 2014 with 66,000 miles and now has 72,000 miles on it. So, I understand your point here. If your car is in beautiful condition, exterior and interior, then, drive it as long as you can. Good to hear your engine is good. A bad transmission will ruin a good engine, I'm sure you can see how that would do that. As far as getting a replacement car, consider a late model lease return that is certified, you're going to save a lot of money vs buying new. The certification process and reconditioning dealers do is pretty comprehensive. And, get the extended warranty from your credit union to 100,000 miles. A much better deal than the dealer will offer you.

Well guess I have no excuses for not getting that fluid and filter changed by a professional. Just needed some advice thanks. Better to have this changed and not changed and feel stupid for it almost like not brushing and getting a crown lol

Yes , hopefully the fluid change is all you need, good luck.