My 2002 Grand Prix SE 3.1 Wont start

85

Asked by Dec 11, 2013 at 07:54 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

My car wont start. I have replaced the fuel filter, ignition control modeul, and coil pack, both crank censors, spark plugs and wires. She acts like she wants to start but wont.. Any ideas?

60,885

Is the fuel pump coming on? Remove the gas cap and have a helper turn the ignition on but don't try to start it. Put your ear close to the fuel filler and you should hear the fuel pump run for about 3 seconds. If it runs, based on what's been replaced, I'd do a compression test. If all cylinders test low, it's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim

85

Yes the fuel pump is coming on and the car had great compression ..now the car starts after the battery has been unplugged for a while and runs great but as soon as you shut the car back off it won't start until the battery has been unplugged for a bit

85

The car has* great compression

60,885

Could be a computer problem. By disconnecting the battery the PCM (computer) is cleared. Does the service engine soon light come on? Can you get any trouble codes out of it? -Jim

85

It came on once but isn't now. We had a code come up the first time and it said it was the crank position censor, that got changed. It is now not throwing any codes. My dad and I were wondering about the computer too.

60,885

Unfortunately that's what it sounds like to me as well. The ignition components that normally fail when they get hot (coils, control module) have been replaced. You're getting fuel as well. When it refuses to start do you have spark? -Jim

85

Yes. A new computer doesn't cost to much if that's the problem. I appreciate all of your help. :}

85

I just want my car going again lol it's been over a month

60,885

You're welcome. Glad to help. Yes, a month without a car is a long time!! -Jim

Best Answer
85

What would make my tac not work while the car is running??

60,885

I'd suspect the crankshaft position sensor. Especially if your "track off" light remains on. HTH. -Jim

85

We just change that we're hoping that works

85

UGG this dam car

60,885

I actually read a thread on another site about the tach not working. Seems the crankshaft position sensor will sometimes work ok until it gets hot. Then apparently it opens and stops sending the signal to the computer. It's actually a two part sensor. The engine can run with one signal from the sensor but not without any signal from the sensor. HTH. -Jim

85

We have actually replaced both crank sensors and the tac still doesn't want to work?

60,885

Hmmmmm, could be a bad connection at the plug behind the instrument cluster. Or the instrument cluster itself. -Jim

85

Well I ordered a new computer for it today I will look under the dash tomorrow and check that out

60,885

Ok, remember that the new computer will have to be flashed using your vehicle identification number for it to work. -Jim

85

If I get it out of a car that's a 3.1 and has the same features as mine does it doesn't have to be flashed. I've already talked to a couple mechanics and a GM dealer :) :)

60,885

Ok cool. That makes things easier. - Jim

60,885

Did some more research into the tach. The white wire at the plug that plugs into the ignition control module is for the tach. HTH. -Jim

85

Thank you very much. I will check that out. :)

85

So the car starts and runs for the most part. Will that wire make it cut in and out?

85

Because my tach still isn't working

60,885

You're welcome. I'm not sure. I'll look into it further & see if GM issued any service bulletins (TSBs). -Jim

85

When I turn the ignition on and off the tach bounces but once the car has started the tach doesn't work

135

sounds like the passlock security system is actging up sometime they can just reprogram something but other times its a new ignition cylinder and key that has to be coded try leaving the key in the on position for exactly 30 mins then turning it over , if that doesnt work try locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key physically not with the fob

135

and in 2002 gm put out a whole bunch of bad gauge cluster for cars with the same drivetrain if you get one out of a newer car it will fit but it probably wont look the same "tachometer"

135

2000 thru 2004 works, 2005 looks the same but way different

85

What is a fob? The car starts now just after it warms up it starts running rough and the tach doesn't work. My dad thinks it maybe just the computer. I ordered one, just waiting for it to get here.

60,885

The fob is the remote control "clicker" that locks/unlocks the doors and trunk. Have you checked the wiring at the crankshaft sensor? I've read several threads on other sites where people have had the same issues as you. They've traced the trouble to the crankshaft sensor and/ or it's wiring. HTH. -Jim

85

I don't have a remote.. I will have my dad check the crankshaft sensor/ wiring to it..

85

Both crank censors have been replaced

60,885

But it could be a problem with the wiring. When things get hot they expand and sometimes loosen up. -Jim

85

I hope its not. I hope the new computer fixes the problem. If not I can't afford anymore parts and I will be with out a car again. ugg :(

10

return the computer. unplug the battery and plug it back in, then turn the key to the on position and DO NOT start the car, shut it off and back on 10 times to reprogram the original computer and the car will not die. the reason why the car keeps shutting down is because of the security system thinks someone is trying to steal the car and the computer overrides. now for the tach not working properly, pull the crank sensor out and crank the motor by hand and see if it is getting a good connection.

135

yeah these cars have a couple really common problems like the passlock security systems , all the buttons ALL of them go bad , the engine and tranny mounts , the wheel bearings can only take a year of serious driving , the back shock and struts get whooped ! the fuel sending unit is faulty and theres a access panel under the back seat you cut out to get to it , the power steering pump dies the car will finally die when the upper and lower go out oh and if the transmission hasnt started kicking go get a fluid flush and filter change while it you still can

85

Not returning the computer. I can't. The problem is either behind the dashboard wiring or the battery. The car starts and rubs great. The tach acts up and the car acts like it has a miss when it's in drive and reverse other than that its a great car and I've had no other problems with it.

85

Ok, so we figured out the issue in my car. You all were wrong. There is a bundle of wires that go to the computer and other stuff that was rubbing up on the AC Condencer and the wires rubbed raw. They got fied and the car runs GREAT!!!!

60,885

Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear you're back on the road! Happy New Year! -Jim

85

Your welcome and thank you for your help. Happy New Year to you as well :)

135

sweet !

10

I have a 2002 pontiac grand prix it won't start. It makes a tic noise it ran great yesterday morning. I have no clue were to start Ithought it was the battery but its not Ijust got the car two weeks ago

60,885

Switch on the headlights and try to start it. Do the headlights stay nice and bright? If so it's most likely the starter. Also try this, shift into neutral and try to start it. If it starts your neutral safety switch is most likely bad. If the headlights dim or go out when you try starting it that's either a dead battery or a bad battery cable connection. HTH. -Jim

30

I have a 2000 pontiac grand am 3.1l I have replace both crankshaft sensor, harmanic balancer, coil packs, module, spark plugs and wires..the car still wont crank im not getting any fire..it cranks sometimes but after about 30 min it will turn itself off..anybody have an idea what can it be?

My 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix isn't getting Fire...please any help is needed