Transmission won't shift, Speedometer registers

195

Asked by Mar 08, 2015 at 09:28 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I just finished changing the cv-axle in my 2002 Pontiac GrandPrix 3.8 supercharged car. I took it for a test drive, in the middle of the test drive on the way back I pushed it hard and the transmission gave. The car will not move in any gear, not even reverse. It will register when I press on the gas pedal but it also registers on the speedometer in every gear except neutral even without pressing on the gas. The gears are turning in park because I hear a grind and must turn the car off in neutral and wait then move it to park.

195

So after some research I'm going to test the transmission speed sensor tonight and see what happens.

5,065

Are you sure you've got the correct axle shaft in there? It sounds like a shaft that is not engaged in the transmission as it its too short. I don't know if that's even possible, but if the car won't move at all its a lot more than a sensor that's at fault.

195

I had measured them up side by side like I was supposed to. I check for any inconsistencies that would cause issues. I still haven't checked that speed sensor.

What happend I have the same problem...replaced drive shaft and now won't go into gear

also was driving down the road on my test drive up hill cv boot blew and tranny won't go

40

Push the cv axle in completly. The clip didn't go in all the way wich allowed the cv axle to fall back out.

Best Answer Mark helpful

What is the transmission model

5,065

What are you talking about?