tachometer

Asked by Feb 27, 2015 at 10:54 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

tachometer quit working. Car still runs great so not sure if its CPS. What else controls the tach.

Could be the motor on it is busted. Or stuck! Mine is broken on my chevy Avalanche. You might be able to get that part of your instrument panel fixed. But worst case scenario is what I have to do. Take it to your local Chevy dealer and have the whole instrument cluster replaced.

68,895

There is and rpm sensor,on the block,check it first before tearing your dash out.

5,285

Could be many things. Loose or broken wire, bad tach guage, bad dash panel PC board, fuse, or several other things. To fix it you need to determine if the rpm sensor (TST suggestion) is functioning and then move through the outbound circuit to see where you loose the signal but do the easy things first like the fuse on that circuit.

Check crankshaft position sensor

Hi Guys, I have CRV 2.0, year 2000, Automatic, OBD1. When is cold Tachometer is on 0 and Engine light is on, engine works, but automatic is not shift properly. When engine temperature get normal, than I turn off and start engine again, than all workrs. Fault 54 an 62 shows "Krankshaft fluctuation sensor" I disassemble Pulley and covers and Crankshaft sensor is not behind the pulley on the engine block like shows in Service manual or YouTube. I checked Connetor on ECU and there are not even cables in pins for Crankshaft sensor. Few weeks after the engine completely died, I found faulty Distributor (3x sensors inside and Ignition module), bought new from Chinaparts and replaced, engine works again, but next day morning cold and Tacho still doesn't show. I need to drive on 1st and than 2nd gear to get hot engine, off/on and than put on "D" and all works all well. Also removed and soldered pins in ECU on IC and power transistors - no result. Can anyone help me please with advices? Thanks patrik@jamagroup.com.au