looking for info on ignition key for a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

5

Asked by Feb 21, 2011 at 01:01 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

looking for information on whether the ignition key for a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP has a microchip in it.  If the key is stuck in ignition and we are able to release the key, does a new key have to be recoded in order to start the car.  Our owner's manual does not state anything about the ignition key being microchipped.  Also, once we release the stuck key from the ignition, is there a sensor or a way of preventing the key from being stuck again?

485

First of all, there is no microchip in a standard 2002 Grand Prix ignition key. Secondly, I have experienced the sticking ignition key in my 1999 GP and found that when the cars battery is up to full charge that it has never balked about coming out. The trouble happened after driving the car very little over a three month period. However, a mechanic at a Pontiac dealership informed me that spilled drinks, on the shifting mechanism, can seep down and adversely affect a sensor. Good luck on this.

5

thank you so much for the information, will pass along to my hubby. We found out how to release the key ourselves thanks to this site. When the key originally stuck in the ignition we went to a Pontiac dealership and he told us the it would cost us 1000 to get the key out, then he gave us a new one and told us that the microchip in the key would have to be reprogrammed for another few hundred bucks. What a scammer. Thank you so much for your reply. This site is a great help to people who would otherwise be in the poor house if left to the dealerships. Bonnie

5

just another question you said "standard" Grand Prix, my hubby has a GTP Grand Prix, does this make a difference?

485

Hello.....My Grand Prix is also a GTP Supercharged version and my wife's Grand Prix is a 2004 Special Edition model, there is no microchip in the keys of either car. I have extra keys which were made at WalMart for our cars and they function perfectly. Hope this helps in some way.

485

No microchip in the key for a 2002 Grand Prix GTP. I have extra keys, one of which was made at Walmart and the other at Home Depot, both keys work perfectly and certainly there is no microchip in them. We have a 1999 Grand Prix GTP and a 2004 Special Edition.

5

thank you so much, if you look above under my post there was some guy who has already been told the keys are chipped and was ripped off for a reprogrammable charge, unbelievable. Thanks again. Bonnie

485

Very welcome. Being ripped off happens too frequently in this world. I discovered that regular keys work in our GP's simply by chance. Best luck to you.

10

I have a 2002 Grand Prix SE and the ignition key has a microchip in it because I had a key made at Ace Hardware and it does not start the car. My key keeps getting stuck in the ignition switch so I can not get it out once it is turned off. Joan