2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr windows are frosting over on the inside, suggestions? My heater works fine.

215

Asked by Jan 28, 2012 at 05:24 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

My heater works fine, why do I have to continue to scrape the inside windows?  I hit a deer 3yrs ago June 2009.  I can't bring the car back to the shop that put it back together as they are no longer in business & I don't want to spend a lot of money fixing this problem.  Suggestions?

715

Does the A/C work in the car? The reason I ask is because the A/C compressor is always working to remove the moisture in the car which is what is causing your windows to frost.

Your heater core, which is located under the dash is most likely the culprit. It is not uncommon for these units to fail. Usual causes are incompatible coolants being used in the engine. I am wondering if you had to top off any coolant in the past, if so did you use dexcool or an equivalent coolant? ( usually orange in color) . Other coolants WILL cause premature failure of components such as water pumps, rads., and heater cores. The mist you are seeing is pushed out of extremely small crack in the core, it travels with the airflow and sticks to the window. I guessing it has a slippery feeling when you wipe it clean. My '97 took me about an hour and half to change. Your model may differ. Some models require the entire dash be removed to access it. ( costly) P.S. The A/C would leave a mist only if the heater and A/C were trying to work against each other, i.e On at same time.

Best Answer
215

Riccardo: The A/C was disconnected for awhile because the ABS Sensor is bad & when the fuse that's running the A/C & ABS I would pull the fuse out during the year & only put the fuse back in when it was really hot so that the A/C would work otherwise the fuse was out because otherwise the ABS Sensor blinked on/off & didn't work at all & I'm not making the money I was making 3yrs ago to fix it. Gary: Co-worker told me it might be my heater core as well. So you're not the first person that's told me this one. I know its under the dash as I've seen the youtube videos on replacing one. Would it be the blower motor resistor? I did however fill the resevoir back up because it was low. I never checked for the slippery feeling when I cleaned the window however I did use some window cleaner which didn't do anything & also did use some wand with a green mit on the end which also proved unsuccessful. I have a 02. I've been told the whole dash has to be removed. Like I told the other person the A/C is only used a few months out of the year because the ABS Sensor is bad which also uses the same fuse & needs to be replaced. The ABS Sensor & the A/C are linked onto the same fuse. The ABS Sensor is about $200 & $100 to install. The A/C works great! When the fuse is pulled the A/C doesn't work & the ABS Sensor warning light is on, on my dash. If the fuse is installed the A/C works & the ABS Sensor blinks & doesn't work at all & it sounds like I have a dying animal under the hood & the pedal is questionable between 5-30mph. So I brought it to a local mechanic who installed the fuse as I was having overheating issues at the time at the beginning of the year & the mechanic just pulled the plug on the ABS motor which seems to be working, no charge even.