2001 grand Prix abs/TCS/power steering/cruise

Asked by Feb 23, 2016 at 04:47 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Greetings! So, it's like this... A couple of months ago my
abs light started coming on intermittently immediately
accompanied by the TCS OFF indicator. I checked the
wiring on the front speed sensors, cleaned the somewhat
infamous connector near the hub, packing it with a little
dielectric grease as was suggested somewhere and
checked the wiring for visible damage/breaks. No love
there. About a month ago my power steering became very
stiff when the light would pop on and now, finally, the
cruise sometimes disengages, always when the light is
on... The car has 179k on it at the moment, so my question
is sort of multi part here... I usually turn my own wrench in
these circumstances, so how long do these bearing go
anyway? Seems like I wouldn't be losing much to just
replace both front bearings/sensors and see where that
leaves me, no? Another random question is "can all this
possibly be tracked back to the sensors ?" I assume it all
has to be related, since nothing is ever wonkie until the abs
light comes on... Don't be too hard on me guys...and no, I
won't be visiting an ASE certified GM tech for this...love you
guys, but I love my wallet more...sorry.

All is related. Cruse control will not work when ABS light is on. So if you get the car scanned for ABS codes, this would save you some time in hunting down where the problem is. That may miles on the wheel bearings, its getting due. The hub/bearing assembly comes with a new wheel sensor on it. Now funny this question came up, I just worked on one the other day, same thing. But the wheel hub assembly had recently ben replaced. It ended up being corrosion in the wire leading up to the wheel sensor plugin. The wires looked good until I got further up the line. Did a patch job there and good to go.

achem...make sure your battery is up to snuff...and does not have corrosion (which happens immediately)~ on posts and clamps...be sure the secondary cable to the block is there and attached securely so that the 50 Amps is happy with your connection~ electronics to not GET OLD....or GET All used up...I can't use this radio all the transistors are empty...is something that will not be said...so what is the scrapper is the lack of Proper grounding....the semi-conductors will cook themselves without proper ground~ the ABC and TCS all need proper ground ....so be sure the frame is grounded too~

Since you won't visit a garage, and the ABS Light is on, there is a code stored. So you can purchase a code scanner that will tell you what sensor is the issue and replace it. Only way your going to know without replacing parts your don't need to....http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3150-Diagnostic-Reader- Vehicles/dp/B001QIYAQ0

First of all...WOW...179k on the original bearings is something to be proud of! But it sounds like it's time for a new set. The Hub assembly that houses the bearing also houses the speed sensor and will trip the ABS/Trac light when it goes out. If you're inclined, it's a rather tedious job that can cause you some hang-ups, particularly if the old hub is siezed to the steering knuckle. Make sure you rent a slide hammer with yoke, a 36mm axle nut socket, and an axle pusher from an auto parts store. AND more importantly, do not put anything but Timken or SKF bearings on your car, unless you just really enjoy this job. I don't, and have found these brands are money well spent. I'm not a salesman for those brands, just speaking from experience. Another tip...the NAPA store brand hubs are SKF (not Napa Proforma)...about $140 per hub...I highly recommend. I also recommend checking the PS fluid as well...I know this isn't the easiest task on a 3800 but could also be contributing to your stiff steering. Good luck!

Lots of good advice here. Scanning for codes is always a good idea, but as you and a couple of others have said, at 179 Km the bearings are getting due, and yes, only use quality SKF or Timken bearings. I've had the cheaper import ones last less than a year. If its in the budget you might want to do the axles at the same time. They don't last forever either and 170 - 200 Km seems to be about their life span as well.

Best Answer

Thanks to all you folks for your advise. I suppose I should have changed those bearings when I did the CV shafts 14 months ago... Oh well, that's what I get for being a tight wad. Lesson learned...again. I suppose you have to have either time or money on your hands. Guess I will have to find time because I am not flush with money!