Aftermarket Radios

15

Asked by Aug 06, 2008 at 09:41 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

If I want to install an aftermarket radio in my Grand Prix will the steering wheel controls still work? (volume,seek,mute,am/fm,play)

9,445

You will need an aftermarket component to make it work. http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PAC-SWIX&Category_Code=EB&Product_Count=15 Hope that helps.

30

future shop sells them

4,435

If your car has Heads Up Display, you will lose that feature. The Heads Up Display on that vehicle uses Class II data line, which it might be impossible to make aftermarket receiver unit to output information to the Heads Up Display unit.

4,435

With the PAC SWI-X you want to make the aftermarket receivers will work with them. www.crutchfield.com is another site that could show the receivers that would work. Unfortuantely the Pioneer DEH 77DH GM factory fit works on 44 KHz carrier frequency. Unfortunately does not work with PAC SWI-X, I wish it did.

9,445

you are incorrect. my heads up display still worked after radio change. radio info no longer shows in the hid, but everything else worked.

4,435

Thanks for the correction, it is awesome to know that everything else works.

30

Was anything special (wiring, adaptor....etc) required for the heads up display to work? My son just had an after market radio installed in a 1997 Grand Prix and the heads up display does not work. I told him to bring it back to the installer.

9,445

No, nothing special was needed to make it work. If they used an installation wiring kit, It should not have had an issue. I would check the fuse. If fuse is good, take it back to have them correct the problem.

30

Thanks Michael......the problem turned out to be quite simple actually.....I just gave the car to my son as I picked up a 2001 GP GT for me and he wasn't aware of the control on the dash that lowers or raises the display in the windshield.........duh! Anyways I thought I would mention another problem that was resolved that may help someone else. The aftermarket radio would cutout when the volume was turned up. The installer found a factory amp under the dash that was causing the problem. Now the radio sounds much better and much louder with the amp removed.