Does any know how difficult it is to change the input and outlet lines for the transmission cooler. Also what is the best wheel bearing to go with. The one I have on now only lasted a year

325

Asked by Jan 29, 2016 at 12:51 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

4,675

Not bad provided you can get under the car or have access to a lift. Just standard fluid fittings. The bearings should last more than a year - even the cheaper ones. Before putting in another set, check your suspension and steering linkages for worn parts as well. Then go ahead and replace them again with a brand name from NAPA or similar parts outlet. Avoid the bargain stores.

325

I know that one I'm getting in a moog. The last one out was made in china and says they don't last long

3,865

Made in China bearings often last about a year. I've had that happen several times over the years. There's a reason why they are cheaper. Use an American made brand name. I use SKF, but there are others. They are a lot more money but you won't be out there doing it again, or paying someone to do it again a year from now. Even if you can convince the parts store to give you a new one on warranty, the labor won't be covered. The imported ones are made to a very minimal spec, surprise, surprise.

325

The warranty I had the Bering expired a month before I got told by a dealer that is was bad. After I told them that I look at my tires and there is noticable that that tire is wore more than the others

3,865

Bad bearings don't affect tire wear in any way. That is most likely a tie rod end or ball joint or simply lack of maintenance. Have you given it a wheel alignment? It is disappointing that the cheap aftermarket bearing don't last a bit longer than they do. The good news is that even when they start to go they sound a lot worse than they really are, so if money is tight you can drive on that bad bearing until it gets so loud you can't stand the noise. One of my cars has a bad one that I've been driving on for a couple of years now. It makes a bit of noise and someday I'll get around to fixing it... maybe, but its not a safety issue and its not going to leave you stranded. For now focus on your suspension, alignment, and then probably a couple of new tires.

325

Tires are only a year old and when the tires got put on they car was alined and had new tie rods put on. That wheel had a bunch of play in it. The Bering doesn't make any noise but the abs light is on because of that wheel

3,865

Well there's something else wrong with the front end if its eating tires like that. If you've had the tie rod ends done then I'd suspect ball joints. I've noticed on my cars that bad wheel bearing sometimes set off the ABS lite. I think that's a separate issue though. There's not nearly enough play in a bad wheel bearing to affect tire wear.

325

When I jacked the car up to see how much plat there was in it I could maybe move the wheel around a 1/8 inch from pushing on it. I notice sometimes when back out of a driveway or something like that I hear like a clanking noise from the front of the car

3,865

That clank could be caused by a number of things. If you have the expertise you'll need to get under there and go over everything carefully to find the source of the problem. The fact that you have accelerated tire wear up front is a dead giveaway that something is wrong up there. If you don't have the knowledge, or simply cant find the problem then its time to get an opinion from a reputable suspension and alignment shop. A few dollars spent there could save you the cost of new tires. Once then start wearing unevenly it seems like no time at all and they are ruined. Let us know what you find.

3,865

The other thing to think about is that this is no longer a new car. If its getting to the end of its life or if you don't plan to keep it much longer then spend as little as possible on it, keep an eye on the tires so you don't have a blowout (you could rotate them regularly so you wear the whole set out evenly) and start looking for something newer. A 2001 is virtually worthless, especially if its a high miler and no amount of repairs and maintenance is going to improve its value. Keep it safe and reliable for now and save your money for the next car.

3,865

And then I took the time to actually look at the pic of your car and I see you have done a lot to it and it is nowhere near headed for the boneyard. Sorry about that. It's a good looking car. Wish my '03 looked that cool.

325

Other than that tire wear in the sleinoid in the transmission the car runs like a champ for the miles . I can't rotate my tires evenly because they are directionals wince suck in the snow. That front Bering and wheel took some blows this year. I hit a pot hole with it and slid into curb at5mph with it. I think I can't figure out though is the car doesnt pull to the left or right at all

325

When people ask me how many miles are on my car since it still looks so good they about crap there pants when I say it has 190,000 on it.

3,865

Actually I'm not surprised. I've owned lots of these cars and with proper maintenance they often go 200,000 miles. Yours is getting up there, but as long as you're prepared to start fixing the big things like engine, transmission, suspension and electronics you can just keep on running it. The pothole/curb incidents could well be the source of your tire wear problem. Something may be bent and it may take a frame shop to find and fix it. You can't always feel it pulling.

325

My alignment might be off a little. My steering wheel isn't exactly straight anymore. If I put the wheel exactly straight while going down the road the car steers to the right

3,865

Something is definitely bent. You need professional help at this point.

325

But the wheel has been off center for a while now. Most probly from the pot whole I hit

325

Do you know what size the nut is the hold the Axel in the hub?

325

I think the ball joint on the side with most tire wear is bad, when i was looking at everything I notice there is a bunch of grease around it. I'm gonna asume its bad if the grease is coming out of it.

3,865

Definitely sounds like its questionable. What are you planning to do to the front end? Have you had it evaluated by an alignment shop yet?

325

They said my alignment was off a little but not enough to be causing the tire to wear like it is. I'm just trying to save these tires since they were about 200 a piece. The one that is wore will maybe last another year before it gets to the wear bar indicaters. I juat can't believe how much more its worn. The worn tire I put a penny in the tread and the tread only goes to hair line on his fore head and the other tires tread go to his eyes. The tire was good when I changed the oil and rotated the tires. It's been 5,000 miles and it got worn that much