new key problems

10

Asked by Dec 05, 2015 at 11:46 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

i had a key made for my 2001 pontiac grand prix.  the car starts but stalls out
with the new key. the old key works fine. is this a special key?

68,435

Yes, you need a transponder key. If the new key is a transponder key, program it to the car as follows. Start the engine with the old key. Now shut it off and remove the old key. Immediately put the new key in the ignition and turn it to the run position but don't try to start the engine. Watch the security light on the dash. When it goes out (usually within 3 to 5 seconds) turn the ignition off and now immediately start the engine with the new key. If the security light does not go out within 10 minutes the new key is not a transponder key and will not work. HTH. -Jim

10

thank you first ill have the correct key made then i can go from there. the locksmith said this key is the one for the car. i did notice the security light go on, so i guess if i get the right key from GM i'll try your method. my key does have some numbers on it.PK.3 over the letter M. i dont know what this means.

68,435

Yes, that's the problem. The new key is not a transponder key. PK3 is the style of the transponder key. The M stands for master, as opposed to valet. Originally your car came with 2 master keys and 1 valet key. HTH. - Jim

4,055

If you got it from a locksmith I would think it is a transponder key that just needs to be programmed. A locksmith would know that I would think. However if I'm wrong, which has happened once before, you can definitely get the right key from the dealer.