I have a 2001 grand Prix gt and every now and then when driving the car starts shifting hard and make a loud wine. The nosie gets louder if you rev it up and when accelerating. Goes away if the car si

325

Asked by Nov 01, 2015 at 04:40 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

58,765

Should take it to a repeatable transmission shop to have checked out.

325

Would you happen to know where the shifting solenoid is located at in the transmission

63,295

This is common on these cars. The shift solenoids are in the transmission and tend to be troublesome. The whining noise is a shaft inside the transmission which has lost it's splines. This will prevent the transmission from upshifting into 4th and torque converter lock in. My '00 does the same thing. You can drive it in 3 (on the shifter) instead of D. This will stop the whining but the transmission may still shift hard sometimes. To have it fixed will cost about $1500. The parts are cheap but there's a lot of labor involved. HTH. -Jim

325

I know about all problems these trans can cause by what I've read. Would it be easier to just get a new trans or have it rebult at the same time?

63,295

It'd be easier and cheaper to replace the transmission assembly with a rebuilt unit. HTH. -Jim

325

How much does that cost?

63,295

The transmission assembly, rebuilt is about $1500. Plus labor to install it. Figure on about $2100 to $2300. Where it becomes cheaper is that to replace the shift solenoids the transmission assembly has to come out anyhow. In 2008 I had them replaced, under warranty, on a 2002 Impala (same transmission) that I owned. It cost GM $4200 to replace the shift solenoids. It would have been cheaper for them to just replace the transmission assembly. That was 7 years ago. HTH. -Jim

325

I can't complain to much cause it has 185,000 miles on it. For a while it only did evry now and then. Now it's starting to do it more frequently. It will only do it once the engine temp gets close to 210. Does that solenoid have any codes that can come up?

63,295

Mine does that too. When things heat up the transmission fluid thins out some. If a shift solenoid or the torque converter clutch solenoid is bad it will set a trouble code and trigger the check engine light. But with the splines missing from that shaft the computer thinks that the upshift to 4th and torque converter clutch lock in has occurred. This is because the solenoids are doing what they're supposed to but the upshift can't happen because of the missing shaft splines. Driving in 3 will eliminate the whining because the transmission won't try to upshift into 4th. The hard shifting will still occur, at times, because of other worn parts in the transmission. My '00 has 155,000 miles on it. So it looks like you did better than me on this. HTH. -Jim

325

Sometimes it will give me check engine lights but nothing seems to be wrong with it. It won't start acting up till a few weeks after those lights come on

63,295

Are you getting transmission related trouble codes? -Jim

325

Never thought to get the codes the past few times it came on. Had it read once and it was a code for the egr and just thought the check engine light is for that valve

63,295

I see. Actually there's over 100 things that can trigger the service engine soon or check engine light. Including a transmission problem. About the EGR valve. They can be troublesome as well. If the code keeps popping up with no drivability issues (stalling, won't idle, hard start) try this. Unplug the EGR valve, clear the computer. Turn off the ignition then plug the EGR valve back in. Where the trouble happens is the computer reads the resistance of the closed EGR valve and remembers the value. A new valve or one that has been in service can have a different closed value than what the computer knows. Therefore the computer thinks that the EGR valve is not closing properly when it is. By following the procedure as I've outlined above the computer should learn the closed value of the new EGR valve and stop setting the trouble code. HTH. -Jim

325

There has been a few times and I start the car and put it in gear and its stays in park. But the shfiter will say I'm in reverse, drive......

63,295

That sounds like a shifter cable issue. HTH. -Jim

325

Is there any way to keep this from happening for a while like by adding a additve to the trans fulid or something