I have a 2001 ponitac grand Prix gt. 3800 serries 2. The car has a ruff idle all the time. Sometime when starting it struggles to get up to 600 rpm then dies. Just wanted to know what this is.

Asked by Oct 01, 2015 at 12:03 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

time for a tune up and fuel filter?????

Definitely. Also, run some fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system at your next fill up. The fuel injectors on these cars are known to get gummed up. HTH. -Jim

Fuel filter was just changed at last oil change and I always run injecter cleaner though it ever 1000 miles

Have your intake manifold gaskets been done? Is the service engine soon light on? The crankshaft sensor on these engines are also troublesome. Tune ups need to be done every 100,000 miles. Check your coil packs. One or more may be breaking down. HTH. -Jim

I've havnt haven't the gaskets since I got the car. The light came on about 3000 miles ago but went out after a while

How many miles are on it? Did you have the computer scanned for trouble codes? -Jim

183,000 when the code I was gonna get it scanned the next since it was late at night. I went out to start it and the light was gone

With 183,000 miles on the car it's safe to assume that the intake manifold gaskets have been done. They normally fail between 90,000 and 120,000 miles. Even if the service engine soon light goes out the codes are still in the computer for another 60 start ups. You might try cleaning or replacing the spark plugs. Original equipment plugs were iridium and designed to last 100,000 miles. If someone put cheepo-beepo plugs in there to save money they might be shot. Try cleaning the mass airflow sensor. It may be dirty. This is especially suspect if you have one of those cold air intake filters installed. The oil in the air filter contaminates the sensor. You can clean the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve as well. It may be dirty. HTH. -Jim

I tried to change the plugs but I can't get the wires off the plugs

Oh wow! That's not good. Maybe it's never been tuned up. Are the wires grey? If so they're most likely original. They'll say "Packard Bell" or "AC Delco" and have a date code on them. Something like 9/00 or 3/01. Original wires are sometimes numbered to the cylinders as well. If they are original, you need to replace them and the spark plugs. That'll probably solve the problem. HTH. -Jim

There aren't originals cause they still are flexible. II can get the wires off the coil but not the plugs because I was gonna change everything back in march

And it only idles ruff after it has warmed up or it is hot outside

I tried to replace my 2008 grand prix plugs,very hard,i had to bring it in,may be worse with5.7ltr engine,its tight

I have eboght room on he front plugs. The wires just ont come of the plugs