Fuel pump not working on my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8.

Asked by Aug 05, 2013 at 06:29 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

As instructed by Jim, I replaced the fuel pump relay (#32) in my manual, but this was not the problem and fuse # 14 was good. I am not sure what else it could be. I am not getting fuel from the pump. AAA did bang on the gas tank while we attempted to start the car, but without any luck. I am not sure what else it could be. Currently my mechanic is sending my car to an electrical specialist. Hopefully he will be able to pin point the problem without me going bankrupt..lol..once, again, thank you very much.

Anthony D Angulo

W a friend handy use a wood or rubberized mallet bang on tank bottom while cranking engine if the engine burbles pump is junk. I personally do not recommend after market pumps, air tex, carter,ect. Delco is what wad engineered for your machine. Fuel pump is located in tank removal is required to replace pump. Make sure you have obd2 communication, before buying parts to throw at it. Hope that helps let me know how it goes

Oh sorry didnt fully read post, use a test light on tank pig tail see if you have batt to one side for 3-5 seconds.

Wayne Jordanek

Perhaps you have a clogged fuel filter? Did you change out filter when you replaced the fuel pump? When you turn on the ignition key without cranking the engine, can you hear the pump pressurizing the fuel line?

I really appreciate all the advice you have given me. Thus far, we have tapped the gas tank with a rubber happen and changed the #32 relay fuse. I am not getting fuel from the pump to the engine. I do not hear any noise at all when I have the ignition key in the on position without cranking the engine. I am accustomed to hearing this everyday. Mechanic mentioned that there is no current flowing to the fuel pump after the fuse box. The problem seems to lie in the wiring from the fuel pump towards the fuse box. My car does not have a fuel pump resistor. The mechanic remove the passenger front headlamp and the fender skin. Thank you, Anthony

Silly question fo the dash lights come on w the key on? And when you scan the ecm (computer) is there communication?

Yes, all of the dashboards lights come on. The computer scans correctly. It somehow is showing the mechanic an electrical problem. Perhaps there may be a frayed wire somewhere. It is kind of frustrating as one is at the mercy of the electrical car mechanic, meaning the costs could be high.

Under the rear seat lowwer is where the wiring comes through the floor. You should have four wires passing through a rubber plug, grey,black, purple, tan. Two are for the guage, black is ground, purple should be lead a power probe test light should be able to help resolve it. You may be able to gently pull the plug up enough to check it.

Just dont yank on the wires

Thank you very much. I will speak with my mechanic. Thank you, Anthony

Sometimes the seat will cut one or two wires if its been tampered w at some point or wires not placed correctly.you can jump the lead on the pump once its established. Just to see if it will run.

I will tell him to be very careful. Thanks again, Anthony

Fortunately, I have the car since 2003 and I have not had any fuel pump issues. perhaps with sitting in the back seat over time, this may have frayed a wire if they moved. Thank you, Anthony

I have had a terrible time trying to find an answer to this issue I have had 2 fuel pumps put in! The mechanic I had has done just about everything and keeps thinking he has fixed it but "aint so"! Have taken it to a new guy who is really thorough, he has changed out the 2 fuel relays and all seems well so far. I will let you know how it goes in months ahead! Gayle

Apollonia Mills

Did you find the answer to your problem? Currently having a similar issue. Ive had the pump changed, the filter, and the relay. I stopped hearing the pump wgen myvcar stopped a second time. Tge wires were loose and mechanic sauntered them. Third time stopped had it towed to mechanic and it started immediately for him. But now it has stopped again

Hi, Apollonia. I had the fuel pump changed at this was the problem. My car is running good. In my 2000 Gran Prix, they were not able to find a relay, which is located in the right passenger front fender. I guess my vehicle was not manufactured with one. I originally did change the other relay, which is located on top of the engine, but this was not the issue, so I returned the part. My mechanic of many years told me that it was an electrical issue, but it was just the fuel pump, which he could have replaced at a much more inexpensive cost rather than me going to an electrical specialist. Often, a frayed wire will cause the pump not to operate, but I see that your mechanic resolved that issue. It seems that there may be another wire somewhere else that is frayed. I also have the issue of my key getting stuck in the ignition. The key will disengage itself after 5 or more minutes. I asked Pep Boys (Parts & mechanics company) and they said it would cost approximately $700.00 to fix this issue, which is in the steering column. I guess this is electrical. It seems that the Gran Prix is noted for these issues. I do hope that you can resolve our issue. Good luck to you, Apollonia. Have a nice day. Sincerely, Anthony

Joel Rodriguez

Fuel pressure regulator and check the gas tank have 2 relay is the right on'e 2

Tiffany Mace

I need to know where the fuse box is i. My grandprix 2000

Good morning, Tiffany. There are 2 fuse boxes, one is located on the left side of the engine under the hood and the other is located behind the glove compartment. When you open the glove compartment, to the right is a plastic panel, just pull this out and the fuses are right behind the panel.