Question/issue about EXSPENSIVE replacement "programed keys"

55

Asked by Mar 21, 2011 at 02:52 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

I have a 2000 G. Prix GT coupe and I've had to replace my key twice---for a whopping $50 apiece! They tell me that the key has to be "programmed" when I just bought the key without "programming"...making a long story short, they explained to me a hundred times how I could do this programming myself, but after an hour of doing EXACTLY what they said to do, I gave up and had to get them to program it....what gives??! Am I being ripped off or what?

5

from the replies I got to my ignition key question YES......my husband had a spare key made at the dealership because we originally could not get the first key out, someone on this form was kind enough to let us know how to remove the key. The guy at the dealership told us there was no way to remove the key, also when he made us a new key he told us it was microchipped and had to be reprogrammed, lots of money. My hubby is going to try his spare key, which the dealer told him was chipped. If it works with no problem YOU ARE BEING RIPPED.

55

Thank you so much for the info! O, and I have a very similar problem to the sticky-key-in-the-ignition problem----it's very strange with mine, usually it will not come out as soon as the engine is cut and the key turned all the way back; but if I just let it sit idly for about 40 secs to a minute and then turn it just enough to power the electric (not crank it) and turn it back again, and 99% of the time it comes right out then.....

10

I'm confused. I needed a spare key for my 2002 GP GT, so I went to Walmart thinking that I can have a duplicate cut from the original. It was cut perfectly. It unlocked the doors just fine and started the vehicle without hesitation, but I immediately shut the vehicle off, because it started just fine. Later in the evening I had to make a run, so I figured I'd use my new key. After approx 3-5 seconds of running, the vehicle dies. I'm assuming that I need a transponder key. Is this correct?

Yes, the key has to be programmed. The keys are made so that they can open the door and start the vehicle, then it will shut off after about 10 or 15 seconds if not programmed. The dealer will do it for you for a fee, or you can do it yourself. Sometimes you have to unhook a certain fuse in the fusebox for the programming to work. And, you need to have an already programmed, working key.