What is the max milage that a Grand Prix can get?

25

Asked by May 10, 2007 at 03:32 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GT Sedan

My grand prix is a 99 and it has 119,000 miles on it.  How much longer can it go?

29,635

Pretty hard question to answer. As long as the car has been maintained well throughout the years there is no telling how far it can go. You can always expect to have some maintenance with a car that old, but it should run well as long as it's taken care of.

105

I have a 97 GP GT with 175k...and lightgear is right...as long as its maintained and kept up with...it'll keep on going.

Ive seen them go over 300,000 miles

50

If It has the 3.8L V-6, if maintained good probably 220,000-250,000 miles. If it has the 3.1L V-6, Only about 200,000 miles.

645

if you go by the book i kid you not it'll roll the odo over. rotate your tires, replace suspension parts and wheel bearings as soon as wear becomes noticable, change the oil every 3k or less, change the air filter every 7k, plugs and wires every 50k... it'll keep going... and going... and going... energizer bunny style.

375

I have seen a couple of the 3800 gt and gtp engines pushing in the 400K miles like champs. As for your transmission though, the OEM overdrive gear is known to go south around 110 to 120k. If it hasn't yet be on the lookout. That was the main failure point on that engine in basically every car they put it in til 2004. With an aftermarket overdrive gear they go forever if maintained.

2,705

At that point everything is replaceable except if the unibody suffers from excessive rot and becomes unsafe on the road, used drivetrain parts(engines, transmissions) are plentiful and relatively cheap, so drive it until it rots out underneath you

2,705

and those bodies are fairly rust resistant.

645

haha... my 2001 GT would be good for another 100k+ if the chassis wasn't 90% oxidized

I am at 102000 and it still purrs and goes from 0 to 60 mph in 5 seconds! I meet all the services required. I have only replaced the tires.Not a single problem...

645

mine kicked the rust bucket at 206,xxx and i beat the living daylights out of it. rebuilt engine twice (once perf parts, the second time back to stock after blowing the head gasket) and 1 tranny rebuild when my diff exploded.

40

my 04 gt has been going strong for awhile. at 398,000 the trany had started to slip. the engine was running fine I decided to replace both with a matching pair used. both the engine and trany had 86,000 on them. the car now has 442,000.NOTE. the radiator and all the hoses are still original.

I have a 2001 Grand Prix GT coupe and I am just about to past 200,000 miles. I change the oil every 2500 miles. aside from suspension problems the drive me absolutely crazy and the ever-present 3.8 liter head gasket leak that causes air locking in the cooling system

it just keeps running stronger than ever. but for some reason I go through sway bar after sway bar after sway bar every year.

10

I have 04 Grand Prix GT2. It has 335'000 miles on engine and still going strong. I change my oil every 3,500 miles and put a can of "Restore" in it with each oil change. So they will last. (The transmission died at 212,000 miles so I replaced it.)

310

if you have a 3.8 between the years of 1997 and 2003 there's a good chance you'll nead your head gasket set replaced, I know I did but, once I did it and it runs like a brand new car I have 01Grand Prix GT coupe,series 2, 3.8 litre with 188,000 miles and I wouldn't be surprised to see an additional 188000. but if you ever get air in your cooling system good luck to you its a freaking nightmare.

30

my 2004 grand prix has 376,300 miles-still runs great.replaced trans. at 299,000 and alternator at 250,000.everthing else is original

125

I've got a 04 and its a little over 200k and runs like a champ.

10

Mines at 205,000 get regular oil changes every 3000 miles runs like a champ original engine and trans.

20

Wht is the Max for a 2005 grand prix

got a 1999 3.8 gt with 250xxx, original motor and trans but replaced the plenum intake gasket at about 230xxx. a couple irregularitees like exhaust leak, minor trans slip and check engine light (possibly caused by original catylac conv backed up w the exhaust leak right before it backing her up). this generation notorious for unibody and sub frame oxidation, but no credit taken, A PURE CHAMP

My 1999 grand Prix SE is at 208,954 and runs great. Iv'e replaced the surpintine belt twice and changed the oil every 3000. Still runs good! I need to change oil anyway I'm just over 3000, I need to smog it. I should do oil first though right?

10

I drive a '99 Pontiac grand Prix GT and I'm up too 300,000 and it is still in beautiful condition. No real rust or any physical signs of age at all. Mine is all white and other than a tiny dent in the driver side door and a small crack in the windshield the car is almost perfect. It also runs beautifully I can get it 0-70 in about 10 sec. (Just a guess haven't timed it.) I myself have only put 40,000 of those miles on it; the previous owner took well enough care of it that I got it in good condition and just drove it how I pleased. Also my first car so you better believe I beat the hell out of it. (Which is how I know it can get 0-70 in 10 seconds.) Number one above all though with how old my car is and how many miles are on it the most important part of maintaining it is the transmission fluid I drain it and refill it every 10,000 that I've had it just because it is pretty old. Also the ignition control module went out in it last fall right around Halloween and flashed check engine; I put a new one in for less than $200, and had a buddy delete the code for me. Now I've had no problems with it at all. I also like to check my coolant on a regular basis, about 2-3 times a month just to make sure the coolant is getting to the engine. If you take well enough car of your vehicle it can be your daily driver for well over 300,000 miles you have nothing to worry about.

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, running well at 236,000. Wheel bearings replaced twice, and 1 alternator. Car has started to delaminate; few rust spots. Wish they still made these, I would but another one. I love my car, nice to know from previous posts there is hope to keep her running strong!!!

30

Is a 1999 Grand Prix Se with 19000 miles too much for this car. and is $2200 to much to pay for it

40

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT 3.8 V6 ... Although I found out the previous owner didn't take care of it the way he should have...found lots of things he "rigged" himself and badly...I'm a female with no experience in fixing cars and just by using Edmonds and awesome people like all of you giving great answers and suggestions, I have fixed LOTS of problems with my own two hands and have pinpointed the other issues saving lots of money to stretch my budget into 195,000 miles and running better than ever! The windshield leaked onto the passenger side floor...I fixed myself and even the mechanics had no idea how to fix it! Just one of many things I've done....THANK YOU!!!

20

My 2006 base model V6 3.8litre it still going strong at 180000, as long as you keep up the basic maintainence, it will literally run almost forever. I've replaced the basic things like tires, brakes, spark plugs and cap, main belt, batteries etc...basically all the things that are effects of typical wear and tear, but the engine and body itself is as good as the day I bought it off the assembly line. Besides, after 10 years with it, it's a part of me (I bet I'm not the only guy who gets attached to his car). She's still faster then most newer cars on the road, surprisingly good on gas, I've never once had any problems passing anyone, I find, because of the gearing, it really digs in past 65 mph.....I'm amazed I haven't been pulled over, more often (touch wood). Like yesterday, going from Toronto to Niagara, I look down, was doing 80, and I didn't even feel it. She's definitely not a slow car, even if she is old. Have been thinking about a new set of wheels, but you couldn't pay me enough to give her up, so I'm keeping her, my family can drive the new one! She's my 4th Pontiac, and obviously, my last since they're out of business, so I'm holding on to her as long as I can!

10

Does anyone know what to expect to get out of the DOHC 2.4L? I have a 1996 Grand Am GT coupe manual with 207,000 miles on it, and have been taking good care of it. It has a slow external oil leak that I just keep an eye on and periodically add some oil between oil changes every 3500 miles. I haven't seen any other cars like mine of the same vintage within the last several years, so not sure if that is a bad sign or not.

20

Is a 2007 good with 172,000 miles on it.

My 2000 GP has 210,000 and still runs great. No transmission problems, changed the upper and lower manifold gaskets twice, changed the alternator, thermostat, main fuel line and struts (and 4 sets of tires) but I bought it new and maintained it like it was supposed to be. I gave it to my son and bought a 2007 GP in 2014. The '07 had 120,000 when I bought it and the transmission has given my some problems. It has over 150,000 now. Engine runs great.

I'm looking to buy a 91 grand prix 3.1 v6. Good or bad idea?

With 215,000

I have lol a pontiac grand prix. 1999 with 3.1L and 252k miles on it have gone through 2 trannys water pump. Intake manifold gaskets(upper)air flow sensor a rdiater,multiple hoses and a map sensor...when i got vehicle only had 182k miles on it but its starting to fatigue and were out still freeway awsome just aint as tuff ass when i got it gonna try a really good tune up and see what happens lol

10

Would a 05 grandprix gtp increase or decrease in value in 40 yrs

10

I have a 2004 grand prix gt.... That mother fer will not die. I have 220000 on it. Orginal everything aside from the water pump, rad ( f ed it up switching from Dec cool to green shit) , spark plugs, wires, and heater core. Leaking oil from the valve cover gaskets, original wheel bearings ( sounds like death on turns) front suspension is shot, and have gone 12000 miles without an oil change. It fires up like a champ every time!!! 90% of the work week it has a 20ft extion ladder in it with a 6 ft on top and full of heavy ass tools. I have had 20 50lb bags of concrete in the trunk and all the tools in the back of the car with no room to spair. Ass end is riding so low the wheel gap is basically obsolete. I love this car! I need a truck but it basically is an suv car! I plan on keeping this til the end of "HIS" life. Its a he because he prefers girls to drive. All the problems I fixed went away when my girlfriends drive the car hahaha. Bought him with 100000 on it to boot! Went all over the country for work. I'm drunk so hopefully I didn't ramble on! Ha

10

@05PontiacGTP. I think that it will only be as valuable as the person driving it. My 04 gt is my first car and I really hope to never get rid of it.

10

My 94 grand prix with the 3100 has 311,398 miles as of right now and shes still going strong! I am a mechanic and i do keep up with the maintenance so yes that does play a part. I use mobile 1 oil and denso sparkplugs and various other expensive tune up parts but its all well worth it!

10

I've just passed 290,000, 1999 GTP Run full synthetic mobile 1 every 10k miles, trans fluid every 10k, Trans rebuilt, supercharger coupler replaced, suspension replaced cheap through amazon, super impressed, finally changed the plastic elbows to metal when they started leaking last week, it might have issues but most are cheap and easy to find parts some parts on supercharged model can be different but plenty at the jy. This car has been great it always starts right up gets 20mpg average unless I'm having fun, she'll drop to 9 if you run it ;) still hang with the new 5.0 mustangs. Love the heads-up-display, I'm about to have to put a new blower motor in but the ac still blows freezing cold. NO Check engine light, replaced o2 sensor a couple weeks ago. And I really prefer the AC Delco Iridium plugs on these they last 100k miles Replaced @ 240k, inspected when I replaced injector o-rings @ 280K and looked good. Bottom Line you can get a car that with a little searching on the internet is super easy to maintain easy to find parts and they honestly a blast to drive, its been my work rig as a traveling mechanic for the last two years and I couldn't be happier with it. The transmissions are their weakest link, however if you want a lifetime car, buy the rebuild parts on zzp when you get it done! Hope this helps!

My 3.1 '93 Grand Prix has 254,000....... still going.......

30

Update on my 2004 Grand Prix-it now has 412,500 and runs like a top!3.8 liter original motor.

30

Update on my 2004 Grand Prix 3.8 liter-412,500 miles and runs like a top!Maybe I'll hit half a million?

10

yankee dave ; it just might. a close neighbor to me in minnesota turned over 600,000 miles lately with a 2006 grand prix. original 3800 which hasn't been opened up yet; on its third transmission. he does change oil at 3k. another neighbor does all his maintenance in his shop. i know this cars history well.

I have a 2005 Grand Prix with 292,000 + miles. It's still going strong! I keep up with the maintenance on it however. My mechanics are amazed by the condition that it's still in from the interior to the exterior. As the saying goes...."take care of your car and it'll take care of you." :) I am curious to see just how many more miles I can get out of it though. So, I plan to keep it as long as I can. I have been truly blessed with a great car.

I'm planning to buy a 2006 for 2700 with 212000 is it OK with that many miles