WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY CAR????

Asked by Sep 02, 2013 at 06:29 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr SE Sedan

My 2000 pontiac grand prix will not start. sometimes it will other times it wont. Does any body know what the problem could be????

112,405

Turns over but don't start or don't turn over at all?

Best Answer

a battery will only last five years, as the new tin/antimony alloys (no lead anymore) have a "knock off label" on top of the battery indicating the date of it's first charge....three years old is pretty old now, five years old is a grandpa...sounds like you're trying to get grandpa to do the heavy lifting here....Batteries will degrade 10% per year, that is to say they will stop accepting a charge 10%/yr. get a NEW one and your troubles may be over ...if you DO clean the end of the black cable that attaches to ground with a wire brush (coarse)....like I keep asking you to do~

1998....you should be on your third battery by now~!

68,735

Does it do this when the engine is hot, cold, or it doesn't matter? If it's a random thing I'd suspect a dying fuel pump. If it happens when the engine is hot I'd suspect an ignition problem such as the control module. Sometimes they work fine when cold but break down when they get hot. HTH. -Jim

my car turns over but doesnt start. we can start it but after driving for a while it will shut off and not start again for hours, help me please

68,735

When it quits check for spark. Remove one spark plug wire and insert a screwdriver in the end you just pulled off the spark plug. While wearing heavy duty rubber gloves, hold the screwdriver by the handle close to something metal that's not painted. Have a helper crank the engine. You should see a spark jumping rhythmically as the engine is cranked. You should also hear it too. Like a snap, snap, snap sound. If not, check the coil packs, and control module to find out why you have no spark. If you have spark, check that the fuel pump is working. HTH. -Jim

sounds like a crankshaft sensor gone bad. Ifixed this problem by replacing mine.