Hi I've been having problems with my Grand Prix gtp 1998,v6 supercharged 3.8l. My car has been overheating and shutting off, temp will get to around 230. Both radiator hoses get really hard.

Asked by Aug 08, 2015 at 02:58 AM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GTP Supercharged Sedan

what would make it do this?
Someone said blown head gasket
but no coolant is in my oil and no
white smoke out if tail pipes.
Radiator does leak a little bit. But
other than that why would my car
shutdown when it gets hot? Is it a
safety feature or my maf? Anything
helps thanks for your time.

116,505

Your water pump could may be going bad or the thermostat maybe sticking, may not be opening all the way. Depending on milage, I would change the water pump, thermostat, hoses, and give the system a really good flush..

Car has 138k miles also when it's at high temp pop the hood and I hear hissing near the water pump and bottom coolant elbow, thanks for the answer.

Also other day when it was heated up popped the cap off my overflow and it was hot as hell and melted a little bit and sounded like it was sucking air in the cooling system took cap off radiator too and coolant sucked down

116,505

138k on the pump, seems like its time to change it along with the thermostat, system flush and all new hoses, good luck...

8,205

i'd go with the thermostat too.. and make sure u bled the system by openning this slightly when filling coolant. close when it starts spurting.

Will try to do all Monday I'll let you know how it turns out thank you both

4,645

Unlikely its the water pump. They start leaking or making noise when they go but they always keep on pumping. Is the system full of coolant? You mention the rad is leaking a bit. After that the thermostat is the most likely culprit, and has been stated bleeding the air out of the system is critical if you drain the system. On the other hand if you're just changing the thermostat draining the system is not necessary.