Why is my 1998 Grand Prix GTP having trouble starting?

25

Asked by Oct 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Supercharged Coupe

My Grand Prix has had trouble starting lately. It will start on the 1st try probably half the time.  Other times I'll have to crank it, watch it fail to start, wait a few minutes and try again, give it some gas, watch it stumble at a low RPM for a minute, and then it will run as good as it ever did. I have recently changed the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, had the crank sensor replaced, had the oil pan gasket (which was throwing oil onto the crank sensor) replaced.  I've had codes ran on it a few times. The only codes found were an EGR blockage (never dealt with, haven't seen it since) and a cylinder 1 misfire.  I have recently noticed that sometimes when it has a hard time starting the lights will dim and traction control will be off and I can't turn it on.

33,645

Check fuel pressure while doing this.

7,025

did u change the fuel filter?