adding horse power

45

Asked by Oct 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Supercharged Coupe

looking for suggestions for boosting  horse power in my 97GTP without breaking the bank

325

Alright, you gotta let me know whats "breaking the bank" to you, and what you have done already. then i can give you what you want to know

45

haven't done anything to her yet,only bought it a year ago,still not sure if I want to or not.They have them rated at 240horse,I wouldn't mind seeing maybe high 200's to about 300 if possible.What could be done for about a $1000 to $1500.My wallet isn't that thick right now.Thanks for responding.

565

check out zzperformance they are the best company for 3800 performance. but for me i have mine running 13.8's and the only mods have been a thrasher cai, zzp 3 inch downpipe and front powerlog, waterpump and alternator underdrive pullies, it has cost me about 300 dollars to be into the 13's. for about 400 more I'd do headers instead of the downpipe and powerlog however.

565

Oh also a really helpful thing is to get a scanner at least to scan for KR, and if you can afford it a tuner, those are probably the 2 most helpful things i bought for my car.

65

get a kit for your supercharger,was recommended to me also

325

for 1000 to 1500 alot can be done, i would start with a cold air intake, and a 3 inch downpipe. and a pwer log would be a very good thing to invest in, theyre cheap and efficient. after you get the 3 inch downpipe you can then saftely move to a 3.4 inch pulley, if you dont have a 3 inch downpipe you can cause damage and all youre doing is creating heat. and if you want to get higher horsepower look on clubgp.com and look for a set of TOG headers. you can get them for about 400 bucks on there. and other smaller things like poly motor mounts, autolite 104 or 103 sparkplugs. you will need the sparkplugs because they burn colder and that is necessary if you have the smaller pulley. and all the stuff ive just listed you probably shouldnt cost more than 800 to 1000. and you should be running mid to low 13's. any other questions just ask. im sure we all can help

6,665

CAI, thermostat, chip, pulleys. all should be available for what youre going to spend. after those upgrades get a full exhaust system. suspension work is a good idea also.

45

Thanks a million Craig,I appreciate you writing back.I'm hoping to make this a fun winter project if all goes well.Wish me luck.

45

Thanks for the info Adam,it's greatly appreciated,hoping to get some of this done over the winter,thanks again.

45

Thanks James appreciate it.

6,665

while it looks like you know your stuff about these cars i HIGHLY doubt youre going to get a gtp running mid to low 13s with $1000-$1500 in mods. they run 15s stock.

325

the run 15 flat stock, a gtp does is not a hard car to make power out of, my buddys gtp has everything i just listed and he runs mid-low 13's and Alec if you get a chance and some extra money i highly recommend a Gen V supercharger, they are alot better than the m90 on our gtp's. these cars are easily modded and rather cheap to do it, unless of course you want to do a turbo conversion in which case you need to spend about 3000 for a good kit lol. but yea everyting i listed to you are easy and somewhat cheap horsepower gainers. and i dont remeber but i dont think i mentioned an aftermarket PCM the ZZP pcm is OK at best though you can tune them to be better, i have a DHP PCM in mine and its not adjustable but for the mods i have and my buddy have its a sure thing. and dhp i do believe is cheaper than ZZP but you have to get one off ClubGP cuz i dont think they make them anymore. any other questions just ask.

6,665

I'm going to need to see a drag slip proving it. You're talking 1.5+ seconds for about $1000? I can't and won't believe it with No evidence.

190

Uhhh... no. The V6 in the Camaro is not a SeriesIII 3800. I loled.

5

Get some exhaust mods such as headers, downpipe, high flow cat, u-bend delete. Air intake.

375

point still stands, the engines are incredibly simillar only difference is one has slightly smaller pistons and is run with a higher compression rate and slight tweaks to a few select parts

190

For $100 in mods you can run 13s. Can make your own intake, buy a used 3 inch downpipe, used 3.4 pulley, and get a PCM bin uploaded by a local member with a Powrtuner. I've seen stock GTPs run as low as 14.6. You are full of retardation if you can't believe that a forced induction car is easily moddable.

190

Your wit astounds me. For the record, my parents fund nothing. You are a downs syndrome baby. They are completely different motors in every way, shape, and form. One is a 24 valve 60* V6 and the other is a 12 valve 90* V6. A group of words makes a sentence. A group of sentences makes a paragraph. Learn how to read: Camaro motor - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine 3800 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

325

Once again.. Youve googled your ass off to find answers that you couldnt come up with yourself. Hey, guess what.. I can find anwers on google too... its that bar on the google main page that says search.. Damn.. Youre a quick one

190

You do realize that the links I provide are what any sane person would call PROOF to back up my claims? You make me lols also.

325

Yea it might be proof you found the link but, shit, i can go to google and find what im looking for and post the link to this forum. it tales a real genius to figure that out i tell ya

Hey guys, I have a 04 PG GT, just started upgrading it with a full exhaust system of Magnaflow blowing'out the ads, About do a cold intake but what I need to know is, everything else is running stock... Do I need to upgrade on the pull or downsize it, what about apart plugs? I'm still on AC Decor, do the plug wires need chafing... Let me know guys... I want this baby over 300hp.