96 Pontiac grand Prix fuel problem

10

Asked by Jul 17, 2013 at 06:01 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr SE Coupe

my fuel pump only stays on for a few seconds changed it still does same thing won't start
engine not getting gas

I'd have to say, get a NEW battery, then wirebrush clean the territory where the 1/0 cable bolts to, the lug, bolt, washer and put them back together...this being the system GROUND needs to be solid, capable of the 300 or more cold cranking amps required....also serves the delicate ground of the ECU and the FUEL PUMP...yes needs a reliable ground from a GOOD battery...newer than five~~

10

Have new battery already.so frustrated

the end of the black cable should attach to the fender...we've gotta pull 300 amps thru that territory...the engine block also has a 1/0 cable to pull the necessary amperage...check this connection too, (near your alternator)~

it's always the GROUND where the problem lies~ you simply cannot have enough of it~

funny they'd design in BIG POWER and itty-bitty power on the same ground bus....sounds a little quirky if you ask me...as a matter of fact with such amperages the 1/0 cable actually WELDS itself at the connection, creating "brown power" with varying amperages, and voltages and makes an ECU go berserk and stop working correctly...but we are talking a "boilerplate item" the fuel pump...you could test the fuel pump to see if the motor has continuity you could check supply voltages with the key in the "on" position...that would tell us whether or not the fuel pump is "iffy" or just the supply ground~

10

Occasionally.it will turn over and run perfect til I turn it off.i have solid ground on bumper. thinking maybe a fuel resistor or some type of sensor that is telling fuel pump to shut off

JaRita, this is not English, google translate thinks it is Dutch---could you put this in English...I do not follow...pardon my ignorance~

the ASD (automatic shut down relay) would shut everything down until the offending device is corrected~

185

Perhaps it not the fuel pump at all. It will come on for a few seconds until it comes up to pressure. Could be the fuel pressure regulator or even worse, clogged fuel injectors. I replaced all 6 oem injectors on my 89 Grand Prix with Bosch injectors. They give a better fuel spray pattern than oem. I was having same issues as you describe. Took over 3 years and many trips to mechanics before I was able to solve and fix my issue.

10

Ended up being my security system some crappy.gm thing. Trying to fix now