fluid seal fell into power steering reservoir

5

Asked by Feb 20, 2014 at 06:36 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr LE Sedan

While trying to add fluid to power steering,the cardboard seal from fluid bottle cap fell
into the reservoir. I sucked out a quantity of fluid and tried to fish it out with various
devices, but couldn't see or feel it.
I added more fluid to get it to float to the top--- it doesn't float. I tested it for float with
disk from another bottle. Have not been able to reach Prestone (their fluid).
I had to drive the car, -seems ok for now. Probably too big to pass through hoses or
block fluid passage. Will it dissolve and destroy the system?
Any ideas on how to get it out?
thanks

4,575

Sorry to hear that. You're not going to like my answer. The cardboard is surely ground into bits by the pump by now. There are numerous small passages in the rack that are very sensitive to debris in the fluid. Even if the cardboard dissolves, it still presents foreign matter in the fluid. It changes the characteristic of the fluid, and it can't stay in there. You will eventually experience hard steering and premature pump wear at the very least. It's not ALL bad news however. For now, try to flush the entire system thoroughly by removing the hoses at the rack. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to pump the fluid out of the rack into a large pan. Drain the pump reservoir fluid into the pan as well. Spin the pulley by hand in both directions until it's completely empty. Pour the collected fluid thru cheesecloth or a paint filter and see if the debris is showing up. If not, you'll have to do this a few times over the next month or so. I think you'll be okay if you can get all, or most of the cardboard out of the fluid.

3,085

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00275F5I8 Try using a mechanical pickup like this to fish it out.